Help me choose a 3.5T box

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Now that I only have 1 horse, I am considering buying a 3.5T box that is stalled for 1 with nice living. So I can have seats that face each other as a mobile office and that turn into a bed.
I would need a custon build so I have looked at some websites.

I am confused by the options: some say 'coach built' and some say 'converted'. But both those options say they use the Ranault Master or Citroen Relay or Peugeot Boxer. So what is the difference between coach built and converted? And some quote the price "plus chassis" - what does that mean? (Sorry I know I am clueless).

Also, anyone have any recommendaitons of who to use - or avoid?!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
i would interpret coach built as one constructed to be a horse box, and converted to be an existing van modified internally to take a horse.
I had what i would call a coach built racemaster, it had the original cab from the van and then a new body built in aluminium etc.

plus chassis prices mean the price quoted is what they will charge you to build the container, and you have to supply the donor van on top of that.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I think converted means e.g a van is body is converted ie by putting in roof ventilation and windows and putting in a partition but keeping the sides wheareas a coach built starts on an empty chassis and is specifically designed and built on top.

tda

Visit site
I follow Kevin Parker Horseboxes and would have one of their 4.5 ton boxes if I could ever afford it ?
Just seen your last post, 3.5ton ok, they are very hot on payload and you can build to suit

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
beware that there can be super long lead times for new builds, it might be better to find a decent 3.5t and have the grooms area modified to suit you.

I won't sell current trailer/car setup till end of season so I have plenty of time. I just want to get it right as this next lorry/van will hopefully be my last.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
You might be pushed to get that in a 3.5t, even with a custom build, but would you consider a 4.5t?

I was thinking something like this: when I say nice living I’m not bothered about toilet, shower etc. Just somewhere to sit in the day and sleep at night.
694F3968-449A-4DB5-ACC4-9D33556A83EE.jpg58BDD6E0-91C3-49BB-86A4-433613988B7B.jpg

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
A left field suggestion - keep the trailer but tow it with a small motorhome? Could be set up as a very comfortable office plus all facilities.

Our larger motorhome can tow 2000kg.

Ooh another option to think about! Current trailer has living but is just a bit too small as an office. One long bench so no option to sit across from someone which us not much use for meetings. Sitting side by side feels weird.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Most 3.5 standard tonnes have a tiny area for equipment and no room for a bed or table. Have you looked at the Eventa trailer?

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Most 3.5 standard tonnes have a tiny area for equipment and no room for a bed or table. Have you looked at the Eventa trailer?

The pics I posted are a 3.5T conversion, stalled for one. I'd need to check payload. But using the second horse area for living is my plan currently.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I won't sell current trailer/car setup till end of season so I have plenty of time. I just want to get it right as this next lorry/van will hopefully be my last.
You might need longer...
Good friend ordered a Bloomfield last March and despite assurances that it would be ready end August (so she sold older 5.5 early Aug) it actually was ready in mid December, delays were put down to dvla, paint etc. She's very happy with it indeed, but was pretty annoyed at having to blag lifts, hire transport and hack to events in the interim time.

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Think all new builds will have massive waiting times at the min due to Brexit and Covid, after an idle chat with Bloomfields who made my box, nearly 4 years ago mind, it seems my box is now worth more than I paid for it!

I'd say keep eyes very peeled for good make second hand boxes at the min, they do come up but go quite quickly ☺️

Lamehorses

Visit site
Have you travelled yours in a 3.5, I've got a friend who might have to sell hers as new horse is refusing to go in. Loads in my trailer fine, arrived at yard in a large lorry. Just seems to struggle with the ramp & turning once in, panics &charges back out ?

MissTyc

Visit site
for a new build i would be happy to deal with travel two, they started building their own quite a while ago and already had a great reputation as dealers of used boxes (mine came via them indirectly and they were great to deal with).
https://www.traveltwohorseboxes.co.uk/new-builds

I had one custom built by TravelTwo and they helped source the van, too. It was a very fun process and I got to design it all and then be told what was realistic. I've had it 2 years now and have been very happy and also happy with the customer service as I did need one follow up.