help me decide

Ibblebibble

Visit site
ok small pony has been up for sale for a couple of months, had some interest but everyone decides he's too young or 'a bit green' well yes he is young and a bit green but he's priced according and i've been perfectly honest about him.
Now in a moment of madness i put on one of his ads to say i'd consider a swap:eek: ffs don't tell hubs lol he'll pop a vien;)

this week i've had 2 calls offering swaps, ones a coloured 2 yr old shetland gelding (cute) the other option is a blue roan sec a with a surprise foal (bound to be even cuter, palomino colt)
do i go for one of those options or do i just hold onto small pony and wait until he sells:confused:
my 'thing' about keeping pony is that he's not being ridden so is not progressing at all so his value is going down weekly, by spring he'll be meat money:eek: finding a rider is not an option and i don't do loans.

WWYD??
shetland
sec a
or keep pony

be positive

Visit site
Being in a similar position, trying to sell a green pony for someone that is probably going to end up turned away for the winter, I would stick with the one I have, neither of the swaps sound any more saleable, valuable or useful.

Turn yours away then plan to bring him into work once weather is better, he will still be green but a year older will make a difference and you may be able to find a rider by then.

Tilda

Visit site
Have you contacted your local pony club as you may find a young rider there who is willing to put some experience on your pony would you not even consider a short term very local loan for this purpose? I agree with DGEventing why swap one small pony for another!

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
Depends if your bothered who gets your pony. Despite your honest description of him in ads, people are turning up expecting something more advanced in its training. Who is to say these other responses are any different? He could just as easily go to the wrong home.

As for which swap to have, surely that depends what you want it for? If your main criteria is being horse free I'd swap for the mare and foal. That gets rid of your pony and gives you two potentially nice children's ponies to sell. There's probably nothing wrong with the mare except they can't get on and ride it. People often don't like shetlands, so not as much selling potential.

Ibblebibble

Visit site
good points being raised, giving me something to think about, keep 'em coming:)

as daft as it sounds i feel he is being wasted just being a field ornament, even though i know he doesn't see it that way :eek: he's just such a sweet little chap that it seems sad for him not to be used. i wouldn't feel the same way about a shetland, that would be a pet and wouldn't worry about it not being ridden. the sec A if pretty could be shown, or i could back it and sell it on at some point when foal is weaned, foal could also be played with and sold on or kept as a pet, or keep sec a as pet and sell foal on:eek: i'm going in circles aren't i:eek:
god darn me and my wittering brain:rolleyes:

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Can you not get kid to ride the pony. There used to be millions of kids desperate for a pony. If they rode it for a while he'd be older, less green, and they might buy him or sell when they out grow him.

I have a Shetland on loan for my daughter who is 22 and was bought for his owners kids 20 years ago. He has been all over on loan teaching small kids to ride during his life (and still going strong). You could do that with yours if you just don't want him wasted or just for a while until he becomes more sellable in the spring.

What height etc is he?

Littlelegs

Visit site
I think if you're having trouble finding a jockey now, same thing could happen when you want to back sec a. As well as pc, have you asked your farrier? Mines told me plenty of times if I ever need something for daughter to ride he's got a few clients waiting for a small jockey. If not, I think you should hold out for a seller. Or are there any decent rs pony would be suitable to loan to over winter? Then sell in spring?

nicolenlolly

Visit site
If possible could you break to drive? Puts another string to his bow, keeps him fit over winter and helps him see the world a bit so easier to hack out along the line? Just an idea. Personally I wouldn't be able to resist mare and foal option ;)

navaho

Visit site
Well stick your financial head on, how much is your pony up for sale for? How much are the other 2 worth? I wouldnt say either are worth more than £100 tops, so if your pony is worth that then its a fair swap, if not then your better off sticking with yours. Regarding the price for yours i would say it would be worth more in the spring, even without work, anyone would be mad to buy at the moment & prices are rock bottom, people are more likely to be looking in the Spring & prices tend to be higher then.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
depends why you're selling small pony. If you're selling because he isn't getting ridden, then why replace with another pony too small to ride?

Agree. No point swopping for anything that you can't either keep and use yourself or for a family member, or sell easier than you could sell the current one. The offers may be cute, but they will be even harder to sell than the pony you have, and then there is a foal to educate... As someone else said, they're probably worth less than the one you have..

Ibblebibble

Visit site
thank you , i knew i could rely on the sensible HHO folk to make me use my head not my fluffy side:D little pony will stay up with us until we find a good home, have done a deal with daughter that if she helps get him back into work in the spring she can have some money from his sale and if she wants a shetland she can buy one herself;) (again don't tell OH about the shetland lol :eek:)