Help me decide.

Bessi

Visit site
I have a lovely QHxTB colt and I need to decide what to do with him after weaning, I have three options..

1. He can stay with his breeder until next spring, he would winter out with the broodmares and at least one yearling, possibly two yearlings and some other foals dependant on if/when she sells the others.They have decent shelter and would be hayed. However this is about 1.5hrs from me and I'd really like him closer but not at the expense of his wellbeing.

2. He can go to a local stud on young stock livery, they winter their youngstock in same sex groups an they are barned through the winter out 24/7 in summer. This is about 30 mins from me so easier to drive to see him regularly.

3. He could come back to the yard my other horse is at. He would be living out 24/7 in a group of geldings, currently one older gelding and two yearlings. We are clay soil so it gets wet, the field has hedges no other shelter, unlikely to get hayed in the field, I could give him hard feed max once per day and would obviously be up there every day to see my other horse.

Each one has positives and negatives and Im struggling to decide what is best for us both.

GemG

Visit site
He will do fine and survive with any of these options. But...

Obviously option 1 is best, then 2, then lastly 3. Although the worst bit about option 3 is no field hay as such and could get bullied by an already established adult group.

Ideal scenario, other broodmares and youngsters of same age is perfect.

I had our foal last year (at our livery yard) and eventually borrowed in a 'nanny pony' whom the foal came to know, then when weaning time came we took mum away and left weanling with nanny pony. She wintered out with nanny pony in rubbish weather in a massive field with plenty of grass and hay and was non the worse at all.

Spring came, nanny pony left and out yearling is now with an adult mare (who is firmly the boss!) and I have to say our filly is very well balanced, has a perfect attitude and healthy respect for others. Ideally I would have far preferred her to have been with others of same age though, but it just didn't work out like that as I'd planned and I couldn't find a weanling pal to buddy her with locally to me.

It sounds like you have nice options to choose from. Go for number 1 or 2 I would suggest. Number 1 will be the least stressful for the little one though.

Kathy657

Visit site
I'd go for plan B . I prefer to have foals Barnes for their 1st winter. Plus he will be with other foals and it's closer.

Bessi

Visit site
He is a Colt but would be gelded if doing 1 or 3 if doing 2 then may leave gelding him until next spring. He will be gelded at some point anyway I just haven't quite decided when to do it, he's likely to be tall and I don't want to increase the chances of him being super tall by gelding early if I don't need to but if he needs doing from a management point of view then he will be done.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
He is a Colt but would be gelded if doing 1 or 3 if doing 2 then may leave gelding him until next spring. He will be gelded at some point anyway I just haven't quite decided when to do it, he's likely to be tall and I don't want to increase the chances of him being super tall by gelding early if I don't need to but if he needs doing from a management point of view then he will be done.

TBH, I'm far from sure that gelding early keeps them smaller - I've had far too many who have gone well above size when gelded early. Eg - two full brothers - the one a stallion until 6 is 17hh - and bigger than all his siblings bar one - who was gelded at 10 months - he's now 19hh!! (And I don't think we can blame ALL that growth on going to Exmoor at 18 months.)

ihatework

Visit site
Early gelding is supposed to make them bigger not smaller. Running them on as colts is supposed to keep them smaller.

That's what she said - unless I misread?!
OP definitely not option 3!!
Either 1 or 2 is suitable, I understand why you would want closer to home.