Help me design a tack room

melissa1971

Visit site
I am out of action at the moment with my leg bandaged up and on crutches and i'm so bored hate been stuck inside

So I have desided to re design my tack room..well at the moment its not really designed more dumped everywhere!

My husband has got hold of some kitchen cupboards and work top to fit down one side of it, it is about 23ft square I think so a blank canvas

What would you have in your tack room, we have 6 ponies here.

Any photos of tack rooms would be great too

Thank you

amage

Visit site
You can never have too many hooks for a start!! I like to have saddle racks very well spaced to avoid any mishaps. I also like to have some of those three prong central hanging hooks that you can suspend from the roof for tack cleaning. For storing boots those boxes that supermarkets send shopping in are very good. The holes allow sand etc to easily escape once dry and they also allow air to circulate to dry damp boots. If you can get a lock put on one of the cupboards it will make the perfect medicine storage. Some drawer liners are also good for the cupboards to freshen them up for storing Numnahs/rugs etc and if you are limited on storage space get some of those space saver bags that you suck the air out of with the hoover. Get rugs cleaned, pop them in bags and suck the air out = easy storage that mice can't easily decide to set up home in. If you have hot water grat but if not a kettle is essential! An Infra red lamp is also useful if the tackroom is inclined to be a little damp in winter!!

FinalFurlong

Visit site
Agreed about the saddle racks, I hate having to reach up and struggle to get my saddle off especially when its my loan horses dressage saddle.

Rug racks? or at least somewhere the hand them! I have to shove mine on the floor of the cupboard at the back of the stable and then i have to detangle them and dust all the bits of hay off, its very annoying!

Make sure you get different types of shelves and cupboards, one for small things and ones for large things! :)

Enfys

Visit site
My place used to be a standardbred racing barn, the tackroom was set up for harnesses.

What I find really useful is a room length metal pole suspended about 5'6" high with hooks (like tack cleaning hooks) that run along it, there are two support posts from the floor so that it doesn't droop - my tackroom is about 20' long.

Not only is the rack useful for drying saddlepads etc, the hooks hold a myriad of things, bridles, bits, girths, fly masks, anything that can be hung is hung there. I can't find a photo right now and my powers of description are pants - sorry.

As everyone says, there can never be enough hooks or shelves. Shelving can also be put above saddle racks for boxes.

Oh, and a mirror, tackrooms must have a mirror, nothing worse than arrivng home to find that you look like Worzel Gummidge and that you called in for milk en route :eek:

Another thing I couldn't be without is my blackboard, mine is actually in the aisle but everyone uses it for messages etc, and taking notes etc.

JustKickOn

Visit site
Rug racks and hangers
Plastic drawers are fab for brushes, boots, bandages etc.
Kettle is a must.
Hooks for coats, jumpers, reflective jackets etc.

mhorses

Visit site
Personally I hate cupboards as once a rat jumped out at me. So the two I have had their doors removed swiftly. Meal bins and buckets floor.... Saddles a belly/chest height. Shelves and bridle hooks at shoulder/eye level.

Alyth

Visit site
Personally I hate cupboards as once a rat jumped out at me. So the two I have had their doors removed swiftly. Meal bins and buckets floor.... Saddles a belly/chest height. Shelves and bridle hooks at shoulder/eye level.

LOL Right up in the corner of the top shelf I keep rat bait/poison....the cats don't come into the tack room and it covers both rats and mice....when it disappears I replace it!! I have mounting brackets for dish tv arials.....excellent for rugs and saddles.....other things I keep in those cheap lidded plastic roller bins....all sorts of different sizes!!

melissa1971

Visit site
Bleughh mhorses I never thought of that I hate rats!! we do have 4 cats live in there and so far in 4 yrs ive been there never seen any sign of rats or mice but I think I might have to take doors off now just incase.