Help me find a horse :)

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
Hello everybody, I know I don't post here much, but I need a little bit of help.
We have a budget of £4.5K and are prepared to travel up to an hour from Sleaford, Lincolnshire.
The vital stats:
15-16hh, 8-11 years old (will go older or slightly younger for the perfect horse)
Gender and colour immaterial
Not a TB, but a TB cross is fine, as is an overgrown Connie, a small WB, welshie cross etc.
Needs to be steady and confidence giving to a fence and snaffle mouthed, relatively well schooled on the flat but not too sharp off the leg.
Doesn't need to be a world beater, or have a lot of scope at all, comfortable and forgiving at around the 1m mark will do just fine.
Needs to be good to turn out with other horses and be able to be picked up after a weeks holiday with no bother.
Doesn't need to hack out alone and doesn't need to be good at hacking at all :)
Any suggestions?

Lolo

Visit site
There's quite a few on Horsequest, but all seem to be well out of your travel range... Could you extend it to 2 hours, or maybe spend a day down in Kent where they all seem to be!

martlin

Puppy - the first one looks nice, call me suspicious, but why so cheap if everything it says? The second one will be too strong, even just looking at the photo.

Lolo- client's requirements, if it was for me (not that I would be looking for such a horse) distance would be no object.

I know it's a tricky task... especially that the client needs to be closely guarded as is a sucker for a sob story and a cute face.. *sigh*

Puppy

Visit site
Yeah, I'm pretty resigned to the fact that horse shopping means lots of driving. I was lucky in that the last one I tried to buy (failed x rays) was only in Essex so not much more than an hour from me for all the trips I took to see her, but when I bought my grey girl then I was back and forth to Staffs at about 3 1/2 hours a time. It's a long way to go, especially if it's doesn't work out, in terms of time and the price of petrol. (I filled my fiesta up this week, £50!!! I remember when it was £28!!).

martlin

lol, Puppy... my car does 25 miles to a gallon! :eek:

I get a little bit exasperated with this search, tbh - not the easiest of clients and although the budget is healthy, there just doesn't seem to be much around. Especially if ''potential'' is not what you are looking for.
I know exactly what she needs, finding it is another matter... The easy, round, adjustable stride we are looking for normally means plenty of scope, too, and that means way out of budget; couple that with unflappable nature and you are looking for a rocking horse manure.

ETS - there is always the issue of what she needs and what she wants being completely different sets of criteria ;)

Worried1

Visit site
Yes pm me I have just the thing! Belongs to a friend and he was with us for 18 months and Mr worried has worked his magic! He has been in a jumping yard since April to have jump schooling.
Very sweet and easy but doesn't hack alone.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
FWIW I think the first bay mare is correctly priced - for a 12yo that hasn't done anything affiliated, I wouldn't want to pay more than that. I also like the piebald one in clements post too, looks like a cracker - and miles from being a TB ;)

martlin

Worried1, PM me some details if you can :)

Stencilface, the bay mare is a maybe, although I think lacking a bit of quality, if you know what I mean. As to the piebald, it is too big unfortunately, 16hh is really the very, very top of size that would be suitable and it is being jumped in a dutch gag ;)

I know that I might seem awfully fussy, but I do know my client and am reluctant to waste time viewing things there is no way she is going to accept :)