Help me improve my position :)

Amaretto

Visit site
Am going to attempt to address this with my trainer, but...

I've looked at recent pics of me jumping my horse, and I definitely do not fold enough over the fence, keep my bum near the saddle etc, so the angle is not closed enough. There is too much room between my torso and his neck. Then I need to let my arms travel forward a bit more.

So I end up too far up his neck, which is not good as he's green and has a great back end, so if I'm not careful, I'll end up collapsing on his neck - this has encouraged speedy escapes and the odd buck!

Has anyone got any tips on how to improve my position? I'm going to practice on an older horse who will be guaranteed to just pop a fence, so I can concentrate on me. If it helps with your response, I have no issues meeting the fence on the correct stride, just look a bit untidy over them.

schneeko

Visit site
With gridwork though you need to go with the horse so an incorrect position is much more difficult by the 4th jump in a line as your balance is lost. Also try riding around in your jumping position to strengthen those muscles

hippo-horse

Visit site
I used to do gridwork and jumping on the lunge without reins to try and impove my jumping position.Not having to concentrate on my hands helped me focus on my balance in the air.I didn't fold over the neck while jumping,as my old pony carried her head very high,smacking me in the face with her neck on landing.