Help me make a decision if you can

Berkeley

Visit site
Current Yard

The YOs are lovely people. Friendly, kind and always go that extra mile. Really nice people.

The grazing is awful. When my mare comes in at night other horses are turned out so the field never gets a chance to rest. My young boy is out 24/7 and really needs quality grass. He is also with retired horses and I think is bored stupid. At the moment I am having to replace the lack of grass with feed. Not good really.

Its in the middle of nowhere, I don't feel I am improving in my riding skills as there is nothing to do. Plus I need help bringing on my boy. People are usually gone by 4pm so usually on my own.

New Yard

The YO is a little more serious but nice. £50 extra a month. Same distance away.

Fabulous grazing. My boy will be out on an extra 8 acres with other horses.

There is training, clinics and instructors on site.

There are a few really bitchy people on the nearby DIY yard but I can avoid them if I choose as I am on a different yard.

Do I move? I know I can't stay because the YOs are lovely - but I feel so guilty. I know they will think I am leaving because my mare has been sick.

Jezzerbell

Visit site
I would move I was in similar situation myself - had horse with my instructor but very limited t/o and he turned into a nutter - shes still my instructor we get on great and the spotty one is much happier at new yard with great grazing , facilities and people about all the time. Hes come on leaps and bounds and in the end its worked out about the same a month money wise as he doesnt need as much feed or bedding now hes on better grazing with longer turn out. I was really undecided before I moved but so glad I did. If you explain it to your y/o im sure they'll understand!

Twinkletoes

Visit site
Move. But explain to the current lovely YOs why you feel it is time, so you always have the option of going back maybe if for some reason it doesnt work out. Best of luck. PS You'll save some of the extra £50 on having to feed less with the good grazing.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Have the shortcomings never been raised as an issue or apologised for by the current YO? I have occasionally had short-stay horses and the very first thing pointed out by me is the very limited quantity of grass/restricted turnout here or grass simply won't have a chance.

I'd go where you think the horses will be better off.

Fab news about your mare.
smile.gif

Berkeley

Visit site
Jezzerbell, you read my mind. I am totally undecided but all the things you describe in your new yard is exactly what my new yard is offering.

The problem I have is that one of the liveries (human) at my current yard was being a right mare and I told her so. She kicked off and left that day. The other one is leaving for her own reasons and now me; that's 3. She only has 6 liveries in total
crazy.gif

Berkeley

Visit site
thanks Brighteyes - she is much better now. Nothing in terms of apologies - but I don't think its their fault (see again, they are so nice I don't want to blame them!)

Jezzerbell

Visit site
Its a tough one but I think you need to do whats right for you. We do have these creatures to enjoy them after all. I think the only way to go is to be honest with your YO if they are as lovely as they say I'm sure it will work out.

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
The fact that they will lose potentially 3 liveries is not your problem - explaining your reasons ie the facilties and grazing and your need for more help with your youngster is very reasonable. It may also be the trigger to them looking at improving their grazing etc if they want to keep or get more liveries. Your horses are your priority.

TicTac

Visit site
A yard that offers better facilities is always better, but if I were you I would make some discreet enquiries about the new yard you are thinking about just to make 100% that it is right for you and your horses. Sometimes all that glitters is not gold. You have to be happy as well as your horses. Good luck