Help me make an excuse!

Xanthoria

Visit site
"I've had my trailer damaged before, and it made things terribly awkward between me and the horse's owner. I'd much rather we stayed good friends :D"

I promise, they will never ask you again ;)

Recently someone asked me to drive her and my fairly new trailer 10 hours away, pick up a horse she's never met, and return with it. I did Scooby Doo face, then told her my insurance won't allow it...

tenor.png

babymare

Visit site
It would be a definite no from me. Simply no I don't loan it. Now if it was a veterinary emergency then yes I would think differently but to go to a show etc nope would not lend x

Gleeful Imp

Visit site
I'm also of the view don't blame your OH but be upfront. I have a 3.5 tonne box that I will only let one other person use (who would never actually ask me I usually tell her to take it!) but it is insured for her to drive so it's covered if anything goes wrong, and I know she would pay for any damages.

When I had my 7.5 tonne, I'd moved my horse to a new yard. I had literally just unloaded my horse when a delegation of teenage girls asked if I would take them to the beach. Errmmm, of course I would love to spend my precious spare time transporting people I don't know and spend my day hanging around a beach. No hesitation in a short sharp NO! Cheeky buggers.

merlinsquest

Visit site
I’m another vote for just saying, no sorry we don’t lend it out. Some people are so cheeky! We collected our brand new 3.5t, drove back from the dealership & into the yard to park. The yard leech turned up immediately & asked could I give her a lift! Err sorry no, I haven’t even put my own horse in it yet! 😳

blitznbobs

Visit site
I’d just say no - excuses are a waste of everyone’s time but if she is getting difficult produce a contract saying you need an £800 cash deposit before you lend it out to cover any repairs and for it to be professionally cleaned and disinfecting before she returns it to you —

Cheeky mare

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I’d just say no - excuses are a waste of everyone’s time but if she is getting difficult produce a contract saying you need an £800 cash deposit before you lend it out to cover any repairs and for it to be professionally cleaned and disinfecting before she returns it to you —

Cheeky mare
£800 wont cover all potential damage, friend had her trailer written off by another friends husband. They had borrowed it without asking (so stole it) to take 2 horses to new yard. The husband had used a generic key to remove the wheel clamp.... friend had forgotten to put on tow hitch lock the night before, but yard was secure with decent gates and owner on site.
Trailer was a month old, it was driven too fast round a bend and whilst cutting the corner it got wrapped round a tanker lorry.
Friend ended up calling police, as person on yard messaged her, people got done for taking without permission, she was lucky to be able to claim total loss on insurance due to theft.

OP, just no. Hope you have had the conversation now?

blitznbobs

Visit site
M
£800 wont cover all potential damage, friend had her trailer written off by another friends husband. They had borrowed it without asking (so stole it) to take 2 horses to new yard. The husband had used a generic key to remove the wheel clamp.... friend had forgotten to put on tow hitch lock the night before, but yard was secure with decent gates and owner on site.
Trailer was a month old, it was driven too fast round a bend and whilst cutting the corner it got wrapped round a tanker lorry.
Friend ended up calling police, as person on yard messaged her, people got done for taking without permission, she was lucky to be able to claim total loss on insurance due to theft.

OP, just no. Hope you have had the conversation now?
its moot whether she does or not - I doubt she’s going to pony up 800 quid to borrow a trailer...

Apercrumbie

Visit site
So I am of a slightly different opinion to many on here in that I don't mind being asked, as long as the person is perfectly happy for me to say no. I think this is partly due to how we all had to share and help each other with transport when I was growing up so it just felt a bit more normal to ask people. If someone said no, they said no and no further questions were asked about it.

However I do completely understand why people wouldn't want to lend one out, and perhaps I've been exceptionally lucky having had no bad experiences when we have done so. It is probably far easier to have a blanket no lending rule. If people are going to get annoyed at you for saying no, then they're probably an idiot anyway.

holeymoley

Visit site
Not had a chance to see lady yet but my friend agrees with me and said it was a bit rude to ask in the first place! I’m quite busy with work in May too so I’ll advise her to seek another alternative other than rely on me. That’s if she chooses to then ask me to tow. Hopefully not.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I would blame my OH, and say " Im so sorry, and a bit embarrassed, but my OH has said he doesnt want to lend the trailer out".
😳 yes this is what I do! I was amazed at the amount of requests we had to use it when we bought it. The only person I’d let use is my work as I know they are well insured and I know (and have) used theirs at times.
It is awkward and my OHcoykdnt give a damn what anyone thinks of him so, yes I just blame him!

dollymix

Visit site
Being one of the only people at the yard with a trailer I got asked tonight if someone could borrow it. Normally I’m quite swift to say no for one reason or another but tonight I struggled as person is really nice and I only responded politely with ‘what about trying x y or z who have a 3.5tonne that will transport you lots of other people have used him’ 😐. Now for one reason or another I’m not keen on lending it out willy nilly. Firstly it was a gift from my husband bought new and it’s still relatively new with only being used for a couple of shows and a couple of vet visits. Secondly having seen what others (horse and people) can do with them I’d rather any damage was made by myself! And thirdly its a right pita to get out of my driveway! My politeness didn’t seem to get anywhere though and they asked again if I could be kept in mind. If I was to tow I’m not as overly bothered other than that it’s a pain to get out the driveway, but she’s insistent that her husband has a tow bar... so help people! I need a polite but to the point way of saying no... thinking along the line of insurance terns & conditions which I’ve had a look at and can’t see any obvious stipulations 🤨.

Just say no. It’s hard when you’re trying to be nice, but if the other person is as nice as you say, they will appreciate your reasons in good grace.

You shouldn’t feel guilty about not letting someone else use it. They wouldn’t ask outright to ride your horse (I hope lol) so why should it be any different for your trailer