Help me please with buying a body protectors/air vest

Louby

Visit site
Ive decided Im going to buy a body protector of some type for riding my soon to be backed young horse.
I understand about the different levels and latest regs but havent a clue which one to buy. Im happy to pay for a decent one as after having a nasty accident last year I realised I dont bounce anymore!!
Any recommendations please as to which body protector or air vest I should buy.
Thanks for any advice

GTRJazz

Visit site
Race safe would get my vote for a body protector over AiroWare as it offers better side protection, and a Air vest worn over the top, hit air pack away well for general hacking but point two for maximum protection.

Louby

Visit site
Thankyou for replying. Its a long time since I had a body protector that I couldnt move or breathe in lol so Im presuming or hoping theyve come on a bit since then.

Shay

Visit site
They absolutely have! Different styles fit different body types. Generally Racesafe or the new aerowear are the most flexible. Danaise is good for fit but there was some row over their testing standards so some may be marked incorrectly. The best thing to do is go any try them on. Most makes will offer different variations of body size and back length so you can get something really comfortable which fits as well as possible. Personally I head for a big show to try on as many different makes as possible - but it isn't the best time of year for that so you might have to opt for a large retailer.

Airjackets - again it comes down to fit and personal preference. HitAir come up very long on inflation so if you are shorter in the body you might need to opt for Helite (my personal preference anyway) or Pro2. Its best to have one blown on you in the shop to check you are comfortable with what it will do on inflation.

AFB

Visit site
Another vote for RaceSafe as the BP, although I hardly wear mine, the odd time I do I can easily forget it's on. It will depend on your body shape as to what you find most comfortable though.

Can't help with the air vest as have no experience of those, there are hoards of threads on here about them though.

Hanno Verian

Visit site
They absolutely have! Different styles fit different body types. Generally Racesafe or the new aerowear are the most flexible. Danaise is good for fit but there was some row over their testing standards so some may be marked incorrectly. The best thing to do is go any try them on. Most makes will offer different variations of body size and back length so you can get something really comfortable which fits as well as possible. Personally I head for a big show to try on as many different makes as possible - but it isn't the best time of year for that so you might have to opt for a large retailer.

Airjackets - again it comes down to fit and personal preference. HitAir come up very long on inflation so if you are shorter in the body you might need to opt for Helite (my personal preference anyway) or Pro2. Its best to have one blown on you in the shop to check you are comfortable with what it will do on inflation.

I believe that was resolved, the issue was around their upgraded Balios failing to achieve BETA certification and there only being the older (BETA accredited) ones available, the "New" Balios range became available in I think Jan (18), I bought one then having held off for over a year. The sizing has changed I was a L I'm now an XL (not due to excess pies either!). Great body protector but could do with a beefier zip, I find it really fiddly and quite hard to locate the zip into the other half of the zip when putting it on as its difficult to see because the start of it sits under the bulge of the body protector if that makes sense, its easy if you've got someone to help you but not if your on your own. Very light and flexible though, I'm thinking about getting the zip changed to a heavier duty one to make it easier to put on.

HeyMich

Visit site
Go to your local tack shop and ask for a fitting or advice, and then try some on. Much better to buy one that fits your body shape and is comfortable - there's no point having one that you can't ride/breathe/move in!

curiosity101

Visit site
I agree with others that you need to try them on to find out which one is best for you, although I really struggled to find places near me that stocked Racesafe so I ended up with the Aerowear almost by default.

Mine is now classed as the 'old' model - http://www.airowear.co.uk/img/products/normal/outlyne_womens_black_front.jpg

I do completely forget I'm wearing it once I'm on board so it doesn't restrict my actual riding, but dismounting is a royal pain as it catches on the saddle as I slide off unless I properly spring off. I also have to put a lot of oomph into throwing my leg up and over when dismounting as the body protector does restrict that particular movement. Oh and I do feel like the Michelin man wearing it. All in all, I still wear it every time I ride. I'm much like you (had a nasty fall and realised I don't bounce how I used to).

But I'm still on the lookout for the 'perfect' BP for me.

Kat

Visit site
I have promised myself a Kan when I replace my ancient body protector this year.

I tried one one a few years ago and was hugely impressed by how comfortable it was. Plus the technology is streets ahead of most BPs you don't need to replace them after a falk like most.

GTRJazz

Visit site
I have promised myself a Kan when I replace my ancient body protector this year.

I tried one one a few years ago and was hugely impressed by how comfortable it was. Plus the technology is streets ahead of most BPs you don't need to replace them after a falk like most.

I had around 18 falls wearing my old body protector and never replaced it, not say that is the correct thing to do.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Re the Balios..

I believe that was resolved, the issue was around their upgraded Balios failing to achieve BETA certification and there only being the older (BETA accredited) ones available, the "New" Balios range became available in I think Jan (18), I bought one then having held off for over a year. The sizing has changed I was a L I'm now an XL (not due to excess pies either!). Great body protector but could do with a beefier zip, I find it really fiddly and quite hard to locate the zip into the other half of the zip when putting it on as its difficult to see because the start of it sits under the bulge of the body protector if that makes sense, its easy if you've got someone to help you but not if your on your own. Very light and flexible though, I'm thinking about getting the zip changed to a heavier duty one to make it easier to put on.

I have just been shopping for a new body protector. The XL is no longer big enough for me! The assistant says the new new one (as in the one that has the correct new certification) seems bulkier than before, hence the sizes are smaller on the inside. Such a shame as I do think they are the most comfortable.

That is the one I was going to order, but on the website the largest bust size they do is a 38. I know if I contact them that they would probably make one to measure, but then if I try it on and hate it I am stuck with it if it were a bespoke one. I believe that is consumer law. Off the peg I would have 30 days to return. At that price it was enough to put me off!

If this is not so then maybe they need to update the web site so it is clear that if they do a bespoke one that you can return. 38 is not very large for a lady!

I agree with others that you need to try them on to find out which one is best for you, although I really struggled to find places near me that stocked Racesafe so I ended up with the Aerowear almost by default.

Mine is now classed as the 'old' model - http://www.airowear.co.uk/img/products/normal/outlyne_womens_black_front.jpg

I do completely forget I'm wearing it once I'm on board so it doesn't restrict my actual riding, but dismounting is a royal pain as it catches on the saddle as I slide off unless I properly spring off. I also have to put a lot of oomph into throwing my leg up and over when dismounting as the body protector does restrict that particular movement. Oh and I do feel like the Michelin man wearing it. All in all, I still wear it every time I ride. I'm much like you (had a nasty fall and realised I don't bounce how I used to).

But I'm still on the lookout for the 'perfect' BP for me.

Aerowear do off the peg to fit me. My last one was an Aerowear Outlyne, the older type. I found it very sweaty! Or, rather, when wearing it I was very sweaty! It was comfortable, but even by taking the cover off and washing it the sweaty smell hung round. Whoever thought a showerproof type cover on a body protector in summer was a good idea?

I have gone with a Racesafe ProVent, happily I am only a Large size in that one so feel less like a freak! Not cheap by any means, but looks comfortable.

My last Racesafe was the 2000 and was comfortable enough (and never smelled of sweat), so I hope this one with ventilation holes will be better still. I nearly went with the 2010 as I used to have one in my XC colours, but the ProVent does not seem to come in different colours. That is a shame. The 2010 with colours comes out around the same as the ProVent, but the ventilation won it for me.

I also have a Point 2 air jacket. It is comfortable. I am alarmed that some of the HItAir jackets have the air bag on top of the air cannister, so if you fall on the cannister, even if the air jacket inflates, you are potentially injured by the cannister. I think that design depends on which size you have as to weather the air cannister is inside or outside of the air bag.

Last edited:

Louby

Visit site
Thanks for all your replies. Sorry for a stupid comment but Im presuming you attach the cord to your saddle and it inflates if you fall off/cord pulls at the cannister? Id be sure to forget about it, dismount and set the blooming thing off?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies. Sorry for a stupid comment but Im presuming you attach the cord to your saddle and it inflates if you fall off/cord pulls at the cannister? Id be sure to forget about it, dismount and set the blooming thing off?

Been there, done that ;)

After forking out £20 for a new one I soon remembered next time :D

Fiona

Visit site
My Kan BP is the best thing ever. I'd never go back to a 'normal' BP now. Feel so squished in them.

No help on the air jacket though.

Fiona

Hack4fun

Visit site
Go to a place with lots of them and someone skilled in fitting body protectors. Take time there. Make sure you sit on a saddle with it on, and ideally mount and dismount a horse (but that may not be possible)