Help me please :(

sykokat

Visit site
I have had T for a year now. He has come along really well. This horse has been there, done it and has been schooled really well in the past. He works really well in the school in a NS snaffle with lozenge. When he came to me he was not a 'pulling' horse. In fact he reisisted the contact so thats something we have worked hard on and has improved,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,in the school. He has his saddle fitted by Martin Wilkinson and has had his back check and done regularly (last monday was the latest). I have had my instructor come and give me lessons etc and all gooing well ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,in the school. So I hear you ask 'whats the issue here?'. Hacking!!!! He is fine in walk, trot is 'different' and canter has become somewhat worrying! I have a problem with him in this particular pace. He will snatch the reins and fight the contact and tug to go up a gear! He used to caanter with virtually no contact at all but he hadnt done an awful lot of hacking TBH. The issue is I am now becoming increasingly worried and frustrated. I want to be able to canter him out but its just becoming a battle. He tugs and fights and will lurch forward with his head up and then take off for a couple of strides. I grapple to get control, for a couple of strides and so it continues. I have been hacking him in a NS trans universal with waterford mouthpiece. Please can someone help???? Cupckaes for reading the essay xx

Princess Jess

Visit site
Do you hack alone or in company? It may help in he goes out with a steady companion who you can put him behind so that he can't run off with you?
You also say he hasn't been hacked out much which is probably why he's being so strong, it sounds as if he's over excited rather than malicious? Try hacking out more regularly and just in walk and trot to start with so that he learns hacking isn't a really exciting chance to bolt! Then once he has calmed down and learnt to respect you out hacking you can slowly build in the canter work. Also keep up the good work schooling him in the arena, with lots of canter trot, canter walk transitions to really get him responsive even in faster paces.
Hope you find something that works :)

sykokat

Visit site
Thanx for the reply. Hes always out with company, 1-5 others and he is just the same. He hadnt hacked much prior to coming to me but has been out very regularly since then. This is a fairly new trick and he has been doing it for about 3 months I think. He is a fairly powerful horse and covers the ground so the idea of letting him have blow out doesnt appeal lol. I dont think I would actually stop or may run out of grass to canter on lol. I do feel its a definite evasion of my hands and I do try to be as soft as I can as he is sensitive. Awkward dilemma!!! :(

imogen345

Visit site
My arabian mare when cantering in company is what I can only describe as impossible. She also loved to pick up some uncontrollable speed when jumping in the field... Luckily established the realm of control now though (phew).

I think you should try and stick in same snaffle if you can. What I did is started to take my little mare hacking alone, we have a big park with a grass track she is used to walking on, so I just started doing transitions... 5 strides walk, 3 strides trot, 8 strides walk, 4 strides trot... Alternating it and being stupidly rewarding so they keep their concentration on changing the pace all the time.

Eventually I'd do 3-5 strides of canter then back to trot or walk.

Can happily say now I can do a controlled canter for however long I want, but we do have to watch out for sharp spooks now and then. Don't really gallop her though as I just don't trust the terrain enough but I let her go for a quick gallop now and then in areas I know are safe and she is also easy to control.

Cantering in groups is still hard, unless she is at the front but the improvement has been so much so can't complain. Good luck and hope you find something that works.

sugarpuff

Visit site
Could you try something like a Market harborough or bungee to prevent him throwing his head up and to help you keep some control until he learns that he can't tank off with you? I would perhaps take advice from someone who knows you and him as these aids may not suit your situation, but could help you keep control as temporary measures.

sykokat

Visit site
Hi. Thanx guys :)
Sugarpuff- I was just saying the same thing to OH. He said a standing martingale but Im not sure. Think a MH would be a good choice and I have one of those! What is a bungie???? lol x

9tails

Visit site
Is he racing the others? Mine is quite similar in company and sweet as candy on her own because there's nobody to beat. The things that work are for her to be in front, or stuck right up the bum of a nonkicker on a narrow track. I can pull her up with a fairly hefty pull on one rein, but usually go with it until the track ends as she will come back to me. It is sheer excitement.

Parker79

Visit site
I put my mare (also sensitive mouth) in a running martingale for a few months and she settled. Was able to take it off pretty quickly.

Transition suggestions sound like a good idea, not always easy when your in a group but hopefully the group your riding with will be patient enough to help you out.

If you feel confident enough I would try to go out on my own more, so he is listening more to you rather than the other horses. Once you feel happier on your own then try the group rides again.

sugarpuff

Visit site
A lungie bungee ... Can't remember who makes them, it's an adjustable thick elastic cord that runs from the girth, through bit rings and over their poll. If they throw throw head up it puts pressure on the poll. Some horse don't like that pressure so I would always advise lunging them with it on first in case they over react. They can help horses work lobg and low and get used to a constant contact. I'm not a fan of training aids as such, but this can work well for the right horse, right circumstances under supervision. I did hack my horse out in it a few times when I first got him.

sykokat

Visit site
:D :D :D
To those of you who posted with advice,,,,,,,, thank you!!! Especially Sugarpuff!
Put him in the Market Harborough and his NS snaffle on saturday. All I can say is WOW! He had a couple of good yanks when we cantered and then realised he was pulling against himself. Sunday, even better. He was fab! Had a couple of decent canters and he was a poppet. No pulling or arguing. Just lovely!! Thank you!!!! xxxxx