Help me understand "on the bit"

Beatrice5

Visit site
I have had lessons over the years and never really got "on the bit".

Some horses seem to carry themselves naturally in an outline and others just lean the minute you take a contact.

I am these days a happy hacker but would love to understand what "on the bit" really is, for when I am in a position to ride properly again.

Most instructors just tell me to winch in the front end and kick like mad. I have a severe dislike of a strong contact in fact more of a phobia. I would hate for someone to pull at a piece of metal in my mouth to the extent it made me grin.

Am I just a fluffy bunny hugger or can you get a horse on the bit without brute force?

Last edited:

LouS

Visit site
I school mine to be very soft in the hand. They work in a correct shape when they're working properly over their backs and pushing through from behind. I don't see the point in pulling their head into a pretty shape. I never pull their head in, I will encourage them to drop into the right shape by guiding them but its hard to explain, I just keep a nice elastic contact and ride them forwards. I use my legs to guide them when they are falling out/in etc and they tend to drop into the right shape as it is the easiest and most comfortable way for them to work, once they figure that out you're away. If a horse leans on you when you take up a contact then it hasn't been taught to accept one.

Herts05

Visit site
To help you feel this I would suggest that you treat yourself to a couple of lessons on a schoolmaster with a good trainer. In addition, get someone to video you so that you can play it back again afterwards.

You will have to ride with a contact though. Understand what you say about not wanting to hurt a horse, but unless you maintain contact (and this usually starts off being heavy) you will struggle, so be prepared for any trainer to expect this from you. The lightness of contact comes once a horse has engaged himself and is therefore carrying himself.

Once you have experienced it you will feel like another door has opened on this incredible thing we all strive for.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
I think any instructor which told me to winch in the front end and kick like mad would have their marching orders.

A horse being on the bit, is as someone has already said, working over the back, engaging the hind quarters and the horse should, then carry itself correctly. If a horse is leaning on your hand you need to do plenty of transitions to lighten the front end and encourage the horse to carry the weight on the hindquarters - half halts help too, as well as spiralling in on circles and leg yielding. The poll should be the highest point - not midway down the neck which I always think looks deformed somehow...
"On the bit" is not about where the horses' head is. In fact if you were to have classical lessons, you would be encouraged to only have a feather light contact. You don't take the contact from the horse - the horse takes it from you

Beatrice5

Visit site
Thank you for your helpful replies.

I am inspired it's not all about having a wrestling match with the front end :D

Off to find a patient instructor to get me through to the other side :D