Help me word an ad

LaurenBay

Visit site
So I am looking for a share Horse, I just gave my current share of 2 months up as he just wasn't right for me.

Not really sure how to word the advert as I am after a very specific type of Horse, which I know could be very hard to find.

I have owned my own Horse 7 years - she is now retired
Previously shared for 6 years before this
14-16.2 hh
Must be safe and sensible in all ways
willing to pay towards upkeep and do chores
Not strong
Confidence Giver
But also don't want something too lazy
looking to do 1 -2 days a week
schoolmaster type

be positive

Visit site
You need to sell yourself a bit more, what can you offer other than payment and chores, which are usually expected anyway, try to make the ad a bit friendly rather than a list of wants/ must haves.
I am not sure what will appeal as I have no experience of sharing but I might be put off by someone who could not bring something to the deal, maybe offer to help at a competition if it is a competition horse or help get it fitter/ weight loss/ hack more or whatever your strengths are to make it an attractive prospect for someone who may be unsure about sharing their horse.

LaurenBay

Visit site
Thanks, in all honesty I wouldn't want a competition Horse, I am not the most confident of riders. I am happier to have Horse to hack and school. Low level jumping maybe too depending on the Horse.

be positive

Visit site
Thanks, in all honesty I wouldn't want a competition Horse, I am not the most confident of riders. I am happier to have Horse to hack and school. Low level jumping maybe too depending on the Horse.

A "competition horse" does not have to be a serious competition one just a horse that goes to the odd show would count and should not be ruled out, many people don't compete seriously but may appreciate some support/ help on the ground when they do venture out which is what I was suggesting as a "selling" point.

wkiwi

Visit site
Long term horse owner and sharer seeks willing but safe
gentleman (or lady) horse for fun times 1-2 days per week.
Any of you lovely horses out there looking to share your owner?
Do you share my interests of hacking and low level schooling?
If so, please get your owner to contact me to discuss details.

asmp

Visit site
Are your available days during the week? If so, put this as, being someone who has shared and had sharers, someone who can ride while I'm at work would be more desirable to me.

Polos Mum

Visit site
I'd start with what you can offer

Are you looking to give your schoolmaster / safe sensible horse a little more exercise? I am looking for 1-2 days (mid week) to enjoy hacking and low level schooling while my current horse, of 7 years enjoys her retirement! I am XX tall and Y weight so looking for 14-16.2hh, happy to pay £XX a week and do chores on allocated days. Do get in touch if you think I can help you.

For a wanted ad I would keep it pretty broad, they tend to get very few responses so best to have a list of questions to check on the phone rather than look very picky on an advert - IMHO.

flying_high

Visit site
I’m not in your area. But I do have two horses, and two sharers.

I wouldn’t rule out competition horses. My two are good hacks, and seen a lot of life, the older one is a good all round schoolmaster.

I think could say to say looking to share sane, sensible well-mannered horse that is good to hack / traffic / handle.

I’d sell yourself as competent, reliable and experienced, not to very confident so not looking for difficult horse.

I’d mention been riding for X years, owned horses for Y years, current horse is retired from ridden work.

I would state what you want to do with horse e.g. hack / school / lessons / jump / compete.

I would state your availability e.g. weekday evenings and weekends and expected frequency.

I would state whether you are looking to contribute / do chores / both. I'd mention weight / height. But not necessarily horse height unless you have a strong preference.

And maybe state looking within an X minute drive of Z location.

LaurenBay

Visit site
Thanks all :)

I can do 1 mid week day only and 1 weekend day.

I know when I had a sharer I always looked for mid week so that is a good point!

flying_high

Visit site
Are your available days during the week? If so, put this as, being someone who has shared and had sharers, someone who can ride while I'm at work would be more desirable to me.

Absolutely - I look for independent, reliable, available two days mid week (daylight hours in winter) days, experienced, over 30 (more peaceful for me!). And people who put the welfare of my horses above ALL else. Takes longer to find sharers, but the ones I have a fantastic. And mean my horses can hack 3 times a week all year round!

LaurenBay

Visit site
Absolutely - I look for independent, reliable, available two days mid week (daylight hours in winter) days, experienced, over 30 (more peaceful for me!). And people who put the welfare of my horses above ALL else. Takes longer to find sharers, but the ones I have a fantastic. And mean my horses can hack 3 times a week all year round!

I cannot do daylight hours in winter, I work full time. It would have to be a yard where there was a floodlit school. I am 28 with my own transport.

LaurenBay

Visit site
Just to update - never got round to writing an AD but found a lovely share :)

I logged onto the local Horse FB page with the intent on writing a wanted advert, but someone had posted a share 2 minutes before. I emailed the lady and know the yard well (I shared there before and am up there twice a week anyway doing my friends Horse whilst she recovers from her c section) so anyway I have tried the Horse twice now and loved her, she is very very sweet. Owner is lovely too and tomorrow is my first official day. I am doing once a week for now and then when my friend is back up and running and able to do her Horse I will up my days to 2.