help me!!

jenbleep

Visit site
have a few problems really, i am going to have a lesson on Frankie in a couple of weeks but i need help now! hope you guys can help me.

1. i need to know how i can get Frankie working more from behind. last night i took him in the school and he was working well, really stretching down in trot and moving forwards. however when i looked in the mirror (i was on my own, had no one to tell me!) i noticed he still wasn't tracking up, and looked like he was quite short. i put my leg on to ask him to go forwards more and he does, but then he starts to get rushed and i have to check him to bring him back. what am i doing wrong? i understand that it's probably my doing. (or not doing!) he has had his backed checked and she said he was fine, "nice and loose in the back" i think she said.

2. tried lateral work as well last night (turn on the forehand and leg yield). Frankie moves away from my leg well, however because i am on my own nearly all the time
frown.gif
frown.gif
i cant really tell if he is just 'running away' from my leg or is really stepping across or stepping under. (does that makes sense?!) in turn on the forehand he spins round quite quickly.......what do i do to stop him, and really make him cross his back legs? same in leg yield, he moves across lovely but towards the end of the school tends to lead with his shoulder, and bends his body, rather than going straight. what do i need to do here? something with my outside rein/inside leg?

thanks for all your help. (if i get any!
grin.gif
grin.gif
) i promise i will be getting lessons soon but have been skint for a month!! you know how it is
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Ferdinase514

Visit site
To get him using his backend I'd go for hundreds of transitions, as many as you can do. I find canter 1/2 20m circle, change leg through trot and 1/2 20 m circl other way, quite good. Also, walk-canter-walk-canter.....

Leg yield - do a little bit and if you feel you are "losing" him, go straight and ride away, try again down next long side. Same with turn on the forhand, just do a 1/4 trun if he flies round if you do more. Only do what he can manage, correctly and build it up.
smile.gif

jenbleep

Visit site
thanks very much.......i knew transitions had to be in there somewhere!
grin.gif

one more thing that i have noticed......when i take his bridle off i see he is starting to get small 'bald' patches where his bit is (just up from his lips) im paranoid that its me, but i never thought i have heavy hands, (again an instructor will tell me all this!) but i have been riding him since April and he hasn't had these before. he is also sweaty in the same area, both sides.

do you think i should check the bit (i wash it after i ride, and haven't noticed any scratches, but I'll check again) or get him some bit rings? do you think it has to do with his 'winter' face? (He's quite hairy!)
tongue.gif