HELP!!!!!! My Horses Boots Keep Falling Down!!!

Horsefairy

New User
Visit site
I have a 15h traditional gypsy cob who I keep clipped. I cannot find any brushing boots to stay on him!

The owner at the yard has lots of horses varying in sizes and I have tried a range of her brusing & tendon boots but none will stay up. I have also purchased several boots with dual locking etc but they all manage to slip down.

I do feel he needs brushing boots as he does brush his legs quite hard, we also do XC so I do like him to have some sort of protection.

I welcome any advice and from anyone who has perhaps experienced a similar problem..... :confused:

Please Help!!!!!

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
I'd be inclined to get someone to check you're putting them on correctly if all the boots you've tried slip down.

Jnhuk

Visit site
Are the boots all slipping when your YO puts the boots on too?

I would check that you are putting them on with the correct tension as only time I have had problems with boots is when a sharer was wary of putting them on securely enough.

Other thing I would check is that the velcro is not full of bits as that could make them less sticky

Horsefairy

New User
Visit site
Yes Im sure they are being put on properly, as I have had 2 others (who are very experienced) at the yard check them & put them on for me & the same happens!

I have got him brand new ones - The velcro doesnt undo the whole thing just slips down his leg, so hes nearly standing on them - And they are on as tight as possible without cutting off the blood supply.

- Even the others at the yard say they have never come accross anything like it....

Thanks for your comments!

Last edited:

AFlapjack

Visit site
How odd! Not sure what to suggest really. Could it be that his legs are too 'silky' so the boots slide against his coat? Or is his movement so close that he brushes and 'pushes' his boots down?

Jnhuk

Visit site
Yes Im sure they are being put on properly, as I have had 2 others (who are very experienced) at the yard check them & put them on for me & the same happens!

I have got him brand new ones - The velcro doesnt undo the whole thing just slips down his leg, so hes nearly standing on them - And they are on as tight as possible without cutting off the blood supply.

- Even the others at the yard say they have never come accross anything like it....

Thanks for your comments!

The only other thing I could suggest would be to try fetlock boots with straps rather than velcro - think sabre do the ones I am thinking of?

http://shop.sabreleather.co.uk/sabre-fetlock-boots-special-offer---final-massive-reductions-30-p.asp

Has anyone on your yard got something like that for you to try?

Horsefairy

New User
Visit site
Yes he does brush hard when in trot - He also has a very "stomping" trot, which possibly might not help.

I have not thought about his coat before tough..... It might be worth trying small, thin bandage underneath??? :rolleyes: Thanks for that

Horsefairy

New User
Visit site
I went and purchased him some brushing boots that velcro & then buckle fasten, which I am currently using as they at least last the hack, but are hanging at the bottom by the time we get back... Thanks, I will ask at the yard if anyone has buckle fastening fetlocks