Help needed - am I asking for/wanting the impossible...

MissGee

Visit site
So... my husband and I have 5 horses - both work full time.

His 2 - fit SJ horse which he rides/competes regularly and fit/active 21 yo which he has a sharer for. So lets forget them for now as all happy and working well.

My 3 - fit SJ horse which i ride/compete regularly, 22 yo who currently has a blown tendon and on box rest (although was fit/active in full ridden work until this happened at the beg of Jan) and I had a sharer who obviously packed in as soon as she was injured and 32 yo fully retired old boy.

So my dilema is.... I'm really struggling to keep on top of it all and knackered all the time. My main SJ horse is suffering as even though I'm managing to keep on top of her ridden work I don't have time for all the niceities/massages/stretches etc as my injured mare is taking so much of my time with bandaging/iceing/walking etc and then there's my old boy who needs a little bit of love and attention...

So I was thinking of possibly advertising for someone to come and help out a bit... I can't afford to pay anyone but was thinking maybe someone who's a bit nervous that just needs some "hands on" experience or just horsey time... I can't offer free-riding as as you can see I don't have anything available to ride and I don't expect anyone to do any jobs, mucking out etc but what do you think, would someone be willing to just come and brush and fuss and give some love to my horses....?

As I say, am I expecting too much and should I just forget the idea, stop moaning and get on with it...?

pippixox

Visit site
to be honest, there may be people who just want to come and groom a horse, but they probably know very little about horses and may not be trusted to not just feed them massive bags of carrots ect....
only one i know if a friend of a lady at my yard who comes and grooms the shetland and buys him rugs ect. but she is a friend so we know her. it is really nice for him, as otherwise he doesn't get much attention-as like you we are concentrating more on our ridden horses. but i doubt we would have found someone we trusted by advertising, it just happened by chance.

WandaMare

Visit site
I would definitely advertise and see what happens. If I was closer I would help you because I've got a bit of spare time at the moment and love filling it with horse stuff! I've actually been looking for this type of ad but none near me at the moment...so there are people about who might be able to help.

Billy the kid

Visit site
I cant see you getting someone for free when you cant really offer anything back; like a horse to ride. maybe a teenager that just wants to be with horses, but then will they be trust worthy?

MissGee

Visit site
I would definitely advertise and see what happens. If I was closer I would help you because I've got a bit of spare time at the moment and love filling it with horse stuff! I've actually been looking for this type of ad but none near me at the moment...so there are people about who might be able to help.

Thank you - why can't you be closer.... ;)

MissGee

Visit site
I cant see you getting someone for free when you cant really offer anything back; like a horse to ride. maybe a teenager that just wants to be with horses, but then will they be trust worthy?

Yep, have to be honest, this is what I was thinking....

I "may" be able to offer the occasional ride on my SJ horse (or one of my husband's) and then eventually maybe a part loan of my older mare if/when she becomes rideable again but obviously this is all "ifs" and "maybes" and don't want to make false promises!

Billy the kid

Visit site
Yep, have to be honest, this is what I was thinking....

I "may" be able to offer the occasional ride on my SJ horse (or one of my husband's) and then eventually maybe a part loan of my older mare if/when she becomes rideable again but obviously this is all "ifs" and "maybes" and don't want to make false promises!

There probably will be someone out there that will fit the bill...its just finding them! Most people will want to ride, and then if your horse is a fit SJ you probably dont want any old rider on them? I know i wouldnt!

MissGee

Visit site
There probably will be someone out there that will fit the bill...its just finding them! Most people will want to ride, and then if your horse is a fit SJ you probably dont want any old rider on them? I know i wouldnt!

No, I most definately do not - hence why I don't want to make that promise of a ride....

If someone comes along and they are lovely, professional and trustworthy and in time I can build up to letting them ride her then that's fine (in certain ways would be better becuase then I can give the other two the love and attention they deserve) but it's certainly not something I want to be offering in the beginning - if that makes sense..??

2ndtimearound

Visit site
Would the sharer of your husband's second horse possibly be willing to do a bit more and pay some attention to your horses (maybe for a slight reduction in what they are paying for the share)? At least you already know and, presumably, trust them (to an extent, if not to actually ride your mare).

WandaMare

Visit site

It is worth trying though...I don't fit the bill of potentials described above. I am in my forties, have had horses all my life. I am a professional person who has recently taken redundancy and decided to enjoy a career break spending more time around horses :) I have my own horse to ride so I wouldn't be looking for any free rides. I keep my horses at home so I would value an opportunity to get out and about and learn about different types of horses. I am also trustworthy! :D

We have volunteers helping sometimes in my partners business purely for the learning experience and we have never had anything taken!

Billy the kid

Visit site
No, I most definately do not - hence why I don't want to make that promise of a ride....

If someone comes along and they are lovely, professional and trustworthy and in time I can build up to letting them ride her then that's fine (in certain ways would be better becuase then I can give the other two the love and attention they deserve) but it's certainly not something I want to be offering in the beginning - if that makes sense..??

Yep im the same, no one gets on my horse untill im very sure they are the right person, very few people have ridden him. The way i see it is, its taken me a long time and a lot of schooling to get to where i am with him and i cant have that ruined.

ktj1891

Visit site
Why don't you offer a share in your SJ mare to an experienced rider and instead of them paying you, do duties, grooming etc of your other two horses?

MissGee

Visit site
Would the sharer of your husband's second horse possibly be willing to do a bit more and pay some attention to your horses (maybe for a slight reduction in what they are paying for the share)? At least you already know and, presumably, trust them (to an extent, if not to actually ride your mare).

You'd think so, wouldn't you...?

She originally rode my old boy for 3 years before he retired...
Then she moved on to my mare (who's currently on box rest) but after 2 years of trying to teach her to ride her decided to give up as she was too much for her....
So she now ride's my OH's older gelding...

She occasionally brushes the old lad but she's really only interested in the one she's riding! :(

2ndtimearound

Visit site
You'd think so, wouldn't you...?

She originally rode my old boy for 3 years before he retired...
Then she moved on to my mare (who's currently on box rest) but after 2 years of trying to teach her to ride her decided to give up as she was too much for her....
So she now ride's my OH's older gelding...

She occasionally brushes the old lad but she's really only interested in the one she's riding! :(

That's a shame.

windand rain

Visit site
It is worth an ad I found a rider for mine on facebook but it took a couple of years and was offering riding but no work unless wanted and it still took ages. In the ponies defense I made it clear that they were young and green so that may have been the problem for them. I would have loved a place to play with horses if I didnt have my own to care for as I can no longer ride due to health issues so who knows there may well be someone else like me

MissGee

Visit site
It is worth an ad I found a rider for mine on facebook but it took a couple of years and was offering riding but no work unless wanted and it still took ages. In the ponies defense I made it clear that they were young and green so that may have been the problem for them. I would have loved a place to play with horses if I didnt have my own to care for as I can no longer ride due to health issues so who knows there may well be someone else like me

Thank you, this gives me hope ;)

So can you give me some help writing the ad please?

mjcssjw2

Visit site
I have a retired lady who comes and helps me, she potters about, fills haynets, mucks out - though I try to empty heavy barrows etc, makes feeds chops carrots, brushes etc and is a tremendous help as shows, She comes when she wants to and I am grateful for the help as I to work full time. Oh and she is completely trustworthy. I just move the horses about for her as one of mine is lively 2 year old. I guess the only downside is she chops them plenty of carrots ;-)

MissGee

Visit site
What do you think:

Just testing the water... not sure if I'm looking for the impossible.

I'm after someone who has some spare time on their hands who is happy to spend some time with 2 of my horses, one is my old boy who is now fully retired (aged 32) so just deserves some extra love and attention and the other is my mare who is sadly currently on box rest, due to a tendon injury so again just needs some general love and care. I'm looking for some help due to working full time and also having another competition horse who is demanding of my time.

I can't offer any payment, however, I'm not looking for an unpaid worker, I'm not asking anyone to do all my jobs, just someone that wants some "horsey" time. It may be suitable for someone who perhaps no longer can or wants to ride but misses equine company or maybe someone wanting to gain more experience around horses... I would be happy to help you improve your skills/knowledge and would be more than happy if you wanted to come along to competitions to gain more experience.

Unfortunately I can't offer an opportunity to ride, this "may" be possibility in the future, particularly if my mare eventually comes sound, however I wouldn't want to give false promises so it needs to be someone who is happy to commit without the promise of a ride.

I'm looking for a kind honest and reliable person. The only thing is you would need your own transport due to the location of our yard so must be a car driver.

Please get in touch for more info.

MissGee

Visit site
I have a retired lady who comes and helps me, she potters about, fills haynets, mucks out - though I try to empty heavy barrows etc, makes feeds chops carrots, brushes etc and is a tremendous help as shows, She comes when she wants to and I am grateful for the help as I to work full time. Oh and she is completely trustworthy. I just move the horses about for her as one of mine is lively 2 year old. I guess the only downside is she chops them plenty of carrots ;-)

Can I borrow her please?? ;)

Tobiano

Visit site
I think that is a great ad MissGee. Just wonder if you might want to add something like please dont be offended if I ask for references

Or you could leave that to when you get enquiries. You might also want to specify that you need an adult as otherwise you may get a lot of kids who may not be suitable.

Anything else that could attract people? Eg facilities on yard - coffee, loos, room for a dog?!

I too think its worth advertising, as long as you vet people carefully (and I would also suggest do a bit of spying / checking up on them at first). Ad be careful about giving out keys or security codes to people you don't know.

Finally if you compete regularly could you ask around people you know at competitions or yards?

Good luck :)

charliejet

Visit site
This is the sort of thing I would be interested in, in time. I have decided that I am giving up horses. I will see my current 2 out (they live alone together and are pair bonded so will go together when the time comes for either of them - they both have health issues)

I may get involved in horses again one day but need a good long break. Been at it 30 odd years so plenty experience and i am in no doubt I will miss it so your situation would be ideal for me one day to still handle and care for a horse / horses without the commitment of ownership or loan / share. Basically get a horsey fix! I would be willing to muck out etc on occasion as i quite enjoy it but wouldnt want a fixed schedule just offer to do a few jobs if I was in the mood on top of the horse pampering. Def worth advertising I think :)

FubsyMog

Visit site
OP, I would definitely be interested in the kind of arrangement you're after- having just finished my PhD and now looking for full time work, I can't commit financially to any more than my weekly RS lesson at the minute, but would love to get more horse-handling experience. I can do the bulk if basic chores, but would like a quiet horse that enjoyed cuddles for me to practice more with. If the owner was able to give me some informal tuition in stable management and let me watch them school a decent-level horse and talk me through what they were doing and why, I would consider this great experience for when I am eventually in a position to get my own.

I think the success if the arrangement would hinge on the helper being treated well and appreciated, not slipping into 'skivvy' territory.

pippixox

Visit site
i like your advert- very honest. but also agree you may want to state adults (or maybe 16+ as there are some sensible 16 yos). could suit someone who pays for riding school but also wants more time with horses.

Spilletta

Visit site
For what it's worth, I don't think you're asking the impossible. There was a time I'd have jumped at chance and I'm honest and trustworthy (honest!) and I know I'm not the only one. Could suit someone who is getting back into horses after a break.

I did a similar thing for a friend's old horse. He loved his quality time and would come over for his grooming sessions. I work full time and doing this was a great stress buster, and the horse looked fantastic.

Don't think all people are bothered about riding. Or they may like what you're offering so come to you, and ride elsewhere.

So don't give up even if first attempts don't get anywhere - the right person's out there somewhere.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i think there will be someone out there.....i still have my horse but when she goes i will not be able to afford another(cant afford her now to tell the truth) and as i am a pensioner and slowing down a bit due to operations etc. i prob wouldnt want to ride but would miss the contact with horses as they have been a large part of my life for as long as i can remember so your situation would appeal to me....your advert looks good but as others have said maybe specify adults only... how about putting the ad in your local vets? or asking your farrier if they know of anyone, might be worth a try...good luck

moosea

Visit site
Could your older horse do some in hand showing? Would this maybe encourage a little interest?
Are there any riding schools locally that might have customers that would like this sort of arrangement?