Help needed. Another How Much??

eventrider23

Visit site
Hi all - sorry might be a long one:

Wondering if I could have a bit of help. Lady at my yard has bought herself her first horse roughly 2 months ago. Complete novices and knew not much about owning a horse but incredibly genuine and wanting to learn as well as wanting only the best for new horse.

Well, they placed 'Horse wanted' ad and got a call about said horse. Tried him, kinda liked him but didn't take anyone with them. Supposedly woman selling as getting out of horses, seemed adoring, no pressure, etc. After trying him, about 24hrs later they get phone call from woman saying she's found another horse she wasnts to buy and if they want horse they have to make mind up now. Not knowing what else to do they said yes..had him vetted and got him home. (Note: I knew none of this at time as only met lady when brought horse into yard).

On getting horse there, seemed ok. Bit of a spoilt brat as previous owner pampered the hell out of him....100's of stable toys, god knows how many rugs (all of which rambo or fal pro - for a cob!) and just generally let him have his owne way.
Quickly turned out he was a 'bit' of a piss taker with his new very novice owners - dragging them off where he wants to go and generally incredibly lazy when ridden!!
He has been used as a hack for as long as the previous lady had had him and so as soon as you mention the word 'SCHOOL' to him he switches off and goes to sleep.
We have overcome the dragging business as I gave her a few pointers, etc. but they have now, very wisely come to the decision that they over horsed themselves and are now going to sell him and get something smaller and definately more suitable. As hacks go this guy is as saintly as a horse can get, just not experienced enough for the daughter to do a bit of pc on too.

They now have asked me to give them a hand selling him as they don't know what to do, etc. I was just wondering if you guys could give me any reccomendations on how much she should ask.

He is:
Full up 15.2HH very nicely marked piebald cob gelding. 9 years old. EXCELLENT conformation (believe he must have been kept entire for some time as way to nicely built for a gelding). Definate weight carrier (real leg at each corner type)
As bombproof to hack as any horse could get - I swear an actual bomb could go off underneath him and he wouldn't react. Lovely paces - gorgeous trot! A bit 'gobby' but was overbitted when he came in as he had in what owner thought was 'the most fashionable bit' so is settling. No official schooling to speak of and very lazy but in right hands would school on beautifully and would possibly then do traditional classes and clean up. Would excel in In-Hand coloured classes as well. Great with other horses. Good to shoe/clip, etc.
She is going to sell him with his nearly new tack and possibly his rugs. Had his teeth done in past month, been shod recently and wormed so all MOT's done. Also passed 5 stage vetting 2 months ago with flying colours.

Sorry for the long post, but what do you think I should reccomend??

tking

Visit site
Dont know much about prices these days, sounds just like my boy but without the rough edges. I know this- i want him, he sounds fab.

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
If you go onto the colourcontacts website you won't find anything like that for less then £4000. Cobs like that really seem to be in demand these days, and if I have the cash I would be straight up to your yard picking him up, he sounds wonderful!!!

Happytohack

Visit site
If he is as good as you say - definitely £5000 plus tack. A genuine bombproof weight carrying coloured cob is like hen's teeth - a rare find. Advertise him on coloured contacts.

eventrider23

Visit site
he is BOMBPROOF! His only prob as I said above is that is incredibly lazy in the school. Out hacking he will do anything and moves off the leg for canters nicely, etc. In the school he needs someone who is a strong rider and can get him going forward.
I teach the owners on him but because they are not strong riders and he is so lazy, the lessons are on the lunge. Not at all lazy on the lunge and does everything you ask him to do.
He has just been so spoilt in the past!
They don't want to sell him and have him go to someone novice again as whilst hacking out a novice could ride him with ease it is the schoolwork and then the taking the piss on the ground if he thinks he can get away with it. Doesn't try it on with me or anyone with know how but does sometimes still try it on with owner.
Would be a fab man's/husband's horse as he really seems to like and respect men.

Do you really think that as he is....bombproof as you can get, weight carrying hack but needing work on the schooling side of things....that he is worth that much??

Happytohack

Visit site
Yes I do think he is worth £5K. Bombproof weight carriers are at a premium, especially coloured ones, especially coloured ones with quality. The barginess on the ground is just something that he has learnt he is able to do - a typical cob trait! I was looking a few months ago, and I probably would have been very interested in him. If you price him a bit high, you can always take an offer.

eventrider23

Visit site
will be having a word with owners when I see them next. Gave them a hand with him this evening and had him popping over cross poles, etc. ridden so honestly. The gave him a lunge as he is a different horse entirely lunged and goes forward like a dream and decided to pop him over without rider on board....he has a LOVELY jump - to their knowledge he's never jumped more than the odd pole or logs but was jumping 2'6" with feet to spare in a lovely honest rhythm.

Thanks for advice tho.