Help needed on what my horse would be worth

AdorableAlice

Visit site
In the current market he will fetch money, someone will keep him comfortable with bute and enough work to keep his front feet on the floor. He jumps and is honest according to his description, hunting people would be interested given his size and he is only 11. He needs someone understanding how to manage him and get a few years out of him rather than a novice wanting to plod along and clueless of how to manage his problems.

There are plenty of adverts for horses in their late teens with issues and showing as sold at mid to high 4 figures, it is quite astonishing how much money is still around for horses that I would not give stable room to even if they were a pound.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I paid for Rigsby. Not a lot as he was a horse with many issues, but I did pay. I also paid a fair amount for one with a confirmed rearing habit, although he was young and fit. He had been owned by a top rider though, so if it had been easy to 'cure' then it would have been done already.

I do think there is often the right home out there, but homes need vetting very carefully.

I think you have been asking the wrong question. It isn't so much, "How much is my horse worth?" as, "How do I find the right home for my horse?"

In both my examples, I was the right person and they were the right horse. The owners took great care in placing them though.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Alternatively sell him as a companion horse to someone who would retire him for 1-2k. Or hand over to WHW or the likes if things get really tight.

Who’s going to pay £1-2k for a horse to retire it? And on what basis would this horse be handed over to the WHW or the likes? That’s not how it works….

ponynutz

Visit site
Who’s going to pay £1-2k for a horse to retire it? And on what basis would this horse be handed over to the WHW or the likes? That’s not how it works….

Someone who needs a companion for theirs but doesn't have the time for another ridden one...

Yes, sorry assumed it worked similar to Dog's Trust - my bad if not!

minesadouble

Visit site
Would you pay £4k for a horse that won't pass the vet, I certainly wouldn't!

I recently bought a pony which 'passed the vet' after having hocks medicated. 5 stage vetting with bloods and I stated I wanted to buy an all-round schoolmaster for PC SJ, Event and WHP for my daughter. Pony has been placed at BE80 earlier in the year.The Vet said she was fit for purpose, though would need maintenance due to her age.
So a horse need not necessarily 'fail the Vet' due to having had its hocks medicated depending on the level of work the Buyer expects from it.

Last edited:

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
So a horse need not necessarily 'fail the Vet' due to having had its hocks medicated depending on the level of work the Buyer expects from it.

And in that sentence you have perfectly highlighted the problem that OP doesn't seem to have taken on board when she describes the capabilities of her horse, what sort of future workload will the horse be able to sustain. And for how long, nevermind the temperament issues, a 17.2 that likes to dance on it,'s back legs?? I don't think so.

Melody Grey

Visit site
To me, it would depend on the severity of the rearing and whether I felt he was safe enough with a potential buyer and vice versa. Even then, I think I’d be loaning and wouldn’t expect anything in the way of cash return. To me six monthly steroid injections is quite a problem and quite a cost, so I appreciate loaning may not be ideal for you if you were to continue footing the cost for those? (Not sure whose responsibility that would be in a loan situation?)

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Mild arthritis that is managed with injections is very common and won't bother a lot of people. And if the rearing isn't full vertical, neither will that.
In the current market I'd say about 10K easily . A knowledgeable person will know to expect some wear and tear in a horse of that size. But as he has hock arthritis, I wouldn't advertise him as "could go higher "
He's done a lot of things to make him am attractive, lower level RC all rounder for an experienced rider.

minesadouble

Visit site
And in that sentence you have perfectly highlighted the problem that OP doesn't seem to have taken on board when she describes the capabilities of her horse, what sort of future workload will the horse be able to sustain. And for how long, nevermind the temperament issues, a 17.2 that likes to dance on it,'s back legs?? I don't think so.

I've just re-read the original post and concur.

Ratface

Visit site
I'm not knocking your last para but could you really do that? I mean its just i haven't the heart. Wouldn't you feel you owed it its life when it wasn't its fault it was just the victim in it all? No crticism attached x
Yes, I did/do really mean that. I'm in the fortunate position of being able to keep my beautiful field ornament for life. I can't afford to buy/keep another one. I've only once sold a pony, and she went to a close relative who kept her for life.
Each to their own, of course.

TPO

Visit site
There aren't many people looking for a 17.2hh horse and especially not as a companion.

Getting to 11 with no affiliated record, to me, means thst he isn't a "competition horse" and is getting a bit beyond the age to be marketed on potential.

Personally I'm not a fan of injecting horses to keep them in the same level, or higher, of work. To me having arthritis and needing jags to stay comfortable is a sign to reduce thr workload. However I know there are horses out from 5* to leisure horses being jagged and asked more of. In exchange for a school master some maintenance jags isn't a bad pay off.

I think the main issue is that you have a big horse that is sharp, spooky and rears.

Firstly I'm sorry to hear that you've had an accident and I hope that you have a speedy and smooth recovery.

Would it be an option to put him on schooling livery while you are out of action to 1) sort out the rearing/spooking and 2) have him fit rather than "from the field"?

Ideally you want to really match a suitable home and rider to him which you can't do selling from the field. People/buyers often over estimate their abilities and experience too. It would be a good idea to vet any potential buyers and have them hack him and face the scenarios where he acts up (if it's safe to do so). 17.2 is a lot of horse to have under you if he stands straight up and is that spooky.

I do think this is a reminder to all owners thst it pays to address our horses "quirks". While we might be accepting and fine about bad/dangerousbehaviours we never know when our circumstance might change. A good, solid education is life assurance for a horse.

In this instance it does sound like a hunting home would be the most suitable/easiest to sell too. Again probably better to have him fit so that he's good to go for the autumn season.

SEL

Visit site
How bad is the rearing? My big girl can go up vertical (& buck out of it which is particularly unpleasant). She'll finish her days with me. Baby cob has one of those little naps that involves his front legs coming up as he spins - entirely different situation for both training through and safety

17h isn't everyone's match but I know quite a few of the local hunting community who would be happy with what you describe but would probably want to know he's been out and not disgraced himself / fallen on top of the rider. A few £k and they'd stump up for joint injections. Whether or not that would be a long life is a different Q.

Sorry you're in this situation - good that you're being honest

Patterdale

Visit site
For a horse competing at 100 with a reliable record and no major quirks (rearing when you hang on it’s mouth isn’t a major quirk for a competition horse) you are looking at £8000-10000 to account for the need for joint injections. This also isn’t a major issue in a competition horse over 10, there will be less horses in the warm up ring without steroid injections than with.

Being sold from the field (even with a legitimate reason) is more of a factor to affect value, so get him to a good sales livery asap to get him sold before the autumn lull.

Just because no one on the forum would have him given or pay more than 50p, doesn’t mean that’s what he’s worth. In the current climate, £8000-10000 is realistic. At £4k you will only get some smiling person take him off your hands then advertise him for £8k anyway.

eahotson

Visit site
There aren't many people looking for a 17.2hh horse and especially not as a companion.

Getting to 11 with no affiliated record, to me, means thst he isn't a "competition horse" and is getting a bit beyond the age to be marketed on potential.

Personally I'm not a fan of injecting horses to keep them in the same level, or higher, of work. To me having arthritis and needing jags to stay comfortable is a sign to reduce thr workload. However I know there are horses out from 5* to leisure horses being jagged and asked more of. In exchange for a school master some maintenance jags isn't a bad pay off.

I think the main issue is that you have a big horse that is sharp, spooky and rears.

Firstly I'm sorry to hear that you've had an accident and I hope that you have a speedy and smooth recovery.

Would it be an option to put him on schooling livery while you are out of action to 1) sort out the rearing/spooking and 2) have him fit rather than "from the field"?

Ideally you want to really match a suitable home and rider to him which you can't do selling from the field. People/buyers often over estimate their abilities and experience too. It would be a good idea to vet any potential buyers and have them hack him and face the scenarios where he acts up (if it's safe to do so). 17.2 is a lot of horse to have under you if he stands straight up and is that spooky.

I do think this is a reminder to all owners thst it pays to address our horses "quirks". While we might be accepting and fine about bad/dangerousbehaviours we never know when our circumstance might change. A good, solid education is life assurance for a horse.

In this instance it does sound like a hunting home would be the most suitable/easiest to sell too. Again probably better to have him fit so that he's good to go for the autumn season.
I do so agree with you about the good solid education for life.I am old and have a very young horse who I may have to rehome at some stage in the future.I am trying to get her a good education including good schooling, sensible hacking and to go to a few shows, loading/unloading and behaving as that is what most people looking for a nice alrounder are looking for along side temperament and soundness of course.

TPO

Visit site
I do so agree with you about the good solid education for life.I am old and have a very young horse who I may have to rehome at some stage in the future.I am trying to get her a good education including good schooling, sensible hacking and to go to a few shows, loading/unloading and behaving as that is what most people looking for a nice alrounder are looking for along side temperament and soundness of course.

It was something that Tarrsteps used to repeat a lot on here and post about on her business fb page so it's stuck!

Fairly sure Ray Hunt, Tom Dorrance & Co were hot on that too

SusieT

Visit site
Spooky and rears- every chance this horse is actually sore given its arthritis...
Jumping 1.40 at home means very little.
I'd treat him as a riding club horse, but with problems and be aware selling may well just mean he ends up miserable.
Someone will prob pay 3-4K for this -.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'm wondering if some of the people suggesting this horse is worth £8-10k have missed the fact that none of his competition results are verifiable? That's he's never done anything affiliated at all at 11, which raises real doubts about how much talent he actually has. I'm not suggesting he doesn't have the talent, just that it can't be proved.

Plus he rears if halted going towards home and has to be sent forward, which is fine unless you are at a road junction at the time.

Then add the steroid injections. Which are needed front and rear, a double problem that not even one end of the horse is sound.

I'm with the people who wouldn't even view this horse at any price I'm afraid, but I agree that your best market is as a hunter if you can send him out early season a couple of times and he behaves well.

Personally, I would not sell a horse like this into an unknown future. I'm really sorry your accident has brought you to this point, it's a tough one.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I'm wondering if some of the people suggesting this horse is worth £8-10k have missed the fact that none of his competition results are verifiable? That's he's never done anything affiliated at all at 11, which raises real doubts about how much talent he actually has. I'm not suggesting he doesn't have the talent, just that it can't be proved.

Plus he rears if halted going towards home and has to be sent forward, which is fine unless you are at a road junction at the time.

Then add the steroid injections. Which are needed front and rear, a double problem that not even one end of the horse is sound.

I'm with the people who wouldn't even view this horse at any price I'm afraid, but I agree that your best market is as a hunter if you can send him out early season a couple of times and he behaves well.

Personally, I would not sell a horse like this into an unknown future. I'm really sorry your accident has brought you to this point, it's a tough one.

Tbh I would pts to safeguard his future, if I couldn't find someone I trusted locally to loan him.

Jericho

Visit site
Crikey the horse market is nuts! When we were looking for experienced BE horse (novice) prices were about £40k for 12 yr old horses that on the owners admission would not pass the vet and needed 6 monthly injections in hocks. I guess in our case we were paying for experience but we would have kissed all off that £40k goodbye just for a couple of years if we were lucky competing. If I was in OP positions I would probably try and sell through word of mouth to a known person for c£4K or put out on loan

Bellaboo18

Visit site
For a horse competing at 100 with a reliable record and no major quirks (rearing when you hang on it’s mouth isn’t a major quirk for a competition horse) you are looking at £8000-10000 to account for the need for joint injections. This also isn’t a major issue in a competition horse over 10, there will be less horses in the warm up ring without steroid injections than with.

Being sold from the field (even with a legitimate reason) is more of a factor to affect value, so get him to a good sales livery asap to get him sold before the autumn lull.

Just because no one on the forum would have him given or pay more than 50p, doesn’t mean that’s what he’s worth. In the current climate, £8000-10000 is realistic. At £4k you will only get some smiling person take him off your hands then advertise him for £8k anyway.
But he's got no record.

Backtoblack

Visit site
No horse is perfect, honestly he sounds like he'd make a good masters horse. If he were mine I'd advertise at 12k be totally honest about his good and bad points and let the buyer Knock the price down a bit. I definitely wouldn't sell him for less than 10 k

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
To be honest if I was looking for a horse and part of it's ad said 'has hunted in Ireland' I would not touch with a barge pole! As a producer/breeder of hunters and eventers once said to me, we keep the good ones here in Ireland or sell in Europe never to the UK, that must tell you something.? Plus this horse does not like to stand still, is spooky - will rear if made to do so - so not ideal on the hunting field is it?

Having said all that my retired mare I bought as a 10 year old that had hunted all her life mostly as a hireling, over here in Ireland. When my vet came to vet here he was amazed she had made it to 10 let alone not a mark or bump on her legs, he suspected more of that 10 years may have been breeding than actually hired out for hunting, she was just too clean for an Irish hunter with a good 7 years hunting under her belt. So I bought her and she was still going strong with not a bother on her, until she unfortunately got Lymes disease 3 years ago.

I cant believe some of the ridiculous prices that are being bandied about, but good luck if you can get it.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site

echo this. Being able to see horse and rider together is likely to be a key part of getting a successful pairing so if its possible to pay to get some work into him that would be prudent. And I'm not sure if OP has clarified whether it's a stand up rear or a little fronts off the floor type. One of mine squats behind and the front feet lift off, it's not concerning at all... another has stood right up and that's not so fun.

I took a spooky quirky loan on "from the field" and from my POV it's working well and owner seems happy, I did give her references to check out and the yard I'm on is quite well known so I guess that gave her a level of confidence. If you don't need the £ or the clean ending of selling then i think loaning might be the better option, you could come to an agreement re the hock meds and if done carefully could be a good solution.

Tillymay

Visit site
Hi everyone,

Unfortunately after a bad accident, I’ve been put in a position where I would potentially have to sell my horse, but I haven’t got a clue how much he would be worth in the current market, I’ve tried to compare, but he has a couple of issues so I’m not sure how much that would knock off the price tag. Any help would be appreciated please.

17.2hh, 11yo, ID X TB
Experienced horse who’s done it all.
Competed novice level dressage, but schools and could easily compete elementary level. Always in the placings.
Jumps 1.40 at home with ease, competes at 1 metre, but would easily compete higher.
Competed up to 100 XC, always placed, could easily compete higher. Very brave horse who will jump anything you point him at.
Has hunted in Ireland.
Has won every showing class he’s entered.
Has only ever competed unaffiliated and riding club.
Hacks alone and in company.
Used to all big machinery and farm animals.
Good to clip, shoe, load, worm, catch etc.
Absolutely amazing horse to handle and gets led about by kids, fantastic manners.

Bad points: can/will rear if stressed and asked to stand towards home on a hack after he’s had a gallop, or if he finds himself in a stressful situation and the rider isn’t soft and kind and pulls on his mouth, he needs to be pushed forward to prevent this.
Is a spooky horse, but never nothing bad or nasty, literally just does a little jump on the spot at everything that moves, but would never refuse to go past something or spin etc.
Has arthritis in 1 pastern and 1 hock, but doesn’t affect his performance in any way and can still do everything as normal as advised by the vet, but does require steroid injections when feeling sore again which is usually 1 year max, but at the moment 6 months.
He has been out of work for a month and is a fat lad at the moment, but it doesn’t take much at all to get back into it.

Thank you in advance

Would you be interested in a full loan? I have someone who he would be absolutely perfect for. I won't go into all her details now if it is not something you might be at all interested in but thought I would ask the question and if it's a yes we could exchange details x