Help Needed!! Very thin bit?

Chocy

Visit site
Can anyone help?

At the moment I have horse using a JP cuved loose ring snaffle but would like to try something with an even thinner mouthpiece. Horse spends most of time riddden opening/shutting mouth & i have to use a flash which I'd rather do away with.

I suspect he is some sort of Connie X & know they can be prone to large tongues etc so would like to try a very thin mouthpiece.

Have had a look around google etc & most bits don't have thickness in the blurb so looking for peoples experiences.

So far best I can come up with is a NS pony bit that has 10mm mouthpiece and luckily comes in a 5'' size

Any advance on that????

Nosey

Visit site
Don't know actual thickness but I've used a bradoon on its own before & they've got a thin mouthpiece.

Chocy

Visit site
I use a french link bradoon and it is much the same, very slightly thinner but not really thin enough, I was looking for the same thing the other day and came across this.. http://www.thehorsebitshop.co.uk/product.php?xProd=230&xSec=4

Think I might look for a full cheek/fulmer version though if anywhere does that.

Thanks for that but looks same thickness as the JP - sadly that seems to be a fairly standard thickness.
As always my lovely horse decides he needs something thats likely not made/difficult to get hold of!

Chocy

Visit site

Erm just googled this & being a snaffle girl at heart I can't work out this bit!!!! Any idea if its dressage legal or how severe it is (yes i no bit is only as severe as hands using it but I mean as in generally seen as more severe than snaffle)

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site

If being dressage legal is not an issue then as above - it is the thinnest non-twisted snaffle type bit you can get. You can hire them from bitbanks etc.

Failing that, look to get one imported from the US - western snaffles tend to be alot thinner than even the bridoon bits here.

Chocy

Visit site
Thanx folks.
Would prefer bit to b dressage legal.
Don't want 2 have him going nice & then still have the problem if what to do for dressage (tho this could b an excuse for me to get to stop doing dressage :) )

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Cambridge not dressage legal. I second finding a suitable Bradoon, I use one and a friend had one so thin it was verging on evil and snappable!

Snipe

Visit site
I tried a Myler (10mm) with my fat tongued horse. He hated it though. I found he goes well in a sprenger duo, as it was the metal as much as the thickness that he was reacting to.

Chocy

Visit site
Must b loose ring- little bandit merrily leans on anything else & chomps on it hr really us a delight :)

Off 2 badders nxt wk so suspect me & my tape measure will b haunting everywhere that's got bits for sale.

The ebay bradoon search is also making my mind boggle!