Help needed with pasture/ grass management.

vanrim

Visit site
My 10 acre field is full of ryegrass and clover. The land is free draining slightly acidic sandy soil (soilscapes). I want to achieve a field full of timothy and meadow grasses but haven’t a clue where to start. One advised ploughing, growing a crop for a year then reseeding. Another said no don’t plough, do a soil test to get the soil right then overseed but I can’t see this getting rid of all the clover and ryegrass. I would pay someone to come and look and advise me but again don’t know what sort of person to ask? My local farmers all have cattle or sheep so don’t really understand my problem. Any help much appreciated thanks.

TPO

Visit site
Via Dr Lisa's fb page contact Pro Green for soil testing kit and advice.

Lots of aggressive harrowing and rolling is advised along with over sowing.

Avoiding ploughing as it disturbs the soil seems to be the main message.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Get the clover sprayed out .
If the sward is poor get it direct drilled with a suitable mix in spring the field will need resting and topping for a while after .
I did this last year to my winter field which was a mess it’s was rolled to level it then done with a thingy that gently loosened the soil, it was then direct drilled .
I was thrilled with the results .

I'm Dun

Visit site
overseeding does work, get the soil right for meadow grass and it will grow on and out compete the rye. You might need to spray for clover etc first though