help needed

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
hi guys! my horse has a very unbalanced canter, she sort of just bombs it round the school. She is normally in a snaffle but I find with this she just runs off with me and pulls against me. I'd be happy to give her a longer reign if I knew she was going to be steady, but when I do she often stumbles and she just tries to go to fast. I was very impressed with my friends horse's canter which was just lovely and balanced. What can I do aside from regular schooling to help steady her out a bit? My friend suggested putting her in a pelham and giving her a longer reign.... what do you think? sorry for long post.

she is ex hunter horse so used to going fast. not done a lot of schooling. IDX TB mare, 12 yrs old.

Louise2005

Visit site
erm, I'm not too sure with the bit thing but I wouldn't think putting a pelham in would do any good.
Have you got somewhere suitable to have good canters in straight lines, that's what we used to do with youngsters and it really improved their balance and they found it easier in the arena. When she starts to rush off just use half halts, it sounds like she's just running on because she is unbalanced though. So the more canter work you do the better she will get.
Good luck.

Lou.x

tigers_eye

Visit site
Lunging her in canter - do lots of transitions between trot and canter so she learns to find her balance. Ideally with a pessoa if you have/can borrow one, but side reins would be better than nothing. Don't force her on to smaller circles than she can cope with. I would suggest large circles, in a field if necessary, ask for canter and as soon as you start to feel it fall apart bring her back to trot then start again. You should get longer and longer periods. Good luck!

Parkranger

Visit site
I'm having the same problems......I've gone back to basics - walk and trot only for 3 weeks! He's already starting to track nicely so his balance is really getting there.

I think schooling on the straight (ie out hacking) get the outline going and then bring in schooling and cantering in the school.......it's working for me so far anyway so fingers crossed.

I'd say still to a snaffle (or french link snaffle) as she's rushing through lack of balance probably.

Does she have a nice outline/is she fit?

Murphs_Mum

Visit site
As everyone's said I'd get her cantering out hacking, I would'nt personally put a Pelham in her as you might find she backs off from it rather than accepts it. If she rushing she is probably unbalanced and on the forehand, I would do lots of half halts and lots and lots of transitions in the school and work on a 20 metre circle so she can't get too fast, sit up and remember to ride inside leg to outside hand. My old Section D did this with me and took a while but was beautiful in the end - good luck!

RachelB

Visit site
My old Welsh Cob used to have this problem as well. I wouldn't change her bit though, if she's fine in her mouth with her current one, why change it? It's obviously a balance and schooling problem, not a mouth problem.
As everyone else has said, lungeing, hacking and cantering 20m circles are in order. As are as many transitions as you can do. I used to set out a cross shape of four poles, and ride a 20m circle around them. Then I would canter a whole circle, then trot, then canter 1/2 a circle, then 3/4, etc so I made sure I put enough transitions in. It definately helped my pony (except that I sold her and she now hasn't seen a school for a year!).

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
Thanks so much guys
smile.gif
she is not as fit as she was because she has been off work for a bit, but thanks for tips!
smile.gif