Help - new horse not eating. Need a none heating mix.

GlamourDol

Visit site
Hi, just wondering If anyone can help. We've just had two new ones arrive from germany and one is not eating his hard feed. Went feed nuts, chaff erc but think we're going to have to put him on a course mix. Can anyone recommend a none heating one?
TIA x

GlamourDol

Visit site
Wench, please don't take this the wrong way, but I've asked for a suggestion for a none heating mix not too be asked about his work or whether he needs feed. Feed like winergy that i have used previously has had heating action on some that we have had where as i hadnt had a problem before. Hence asking what people have used etc, please trust that we have enough experience with horses like this to know what we are doing.

JillA

Visit site
Can you feed him straights, like micronized oats or barley (oats are heating in some horses not others, ditto barley, I never had a problem with either) and gradually mix in the cubes? I guess he just doesn't know what cubes are (sensible horse lol). Otherwise check analysis of mixes and look for ones low in sugars, it's usually the sugars that make them fizz.

SO1

Visit site
Ride and Relax by Allen and Page is not heating but like others have said it is difficult to make a recommendation without knowing what the work load is in and if the horse is a poor or good doer or not as Ride and Relax might not have a high enough DE for a horse is hard work who is a poor doer.

wench

Visit site
I asked the questions so as to better advise on what feed maybe suitable.

If he's in full competition work he will need a different diet to doing nothing, as again if hes out 24/7, or in 24/7.

There is no "one size fits all" when it comes to feeding, and giving out sarcastic answers is not going to help you when people are trying to help.

crabbymare

Visit site
if he has come from germany its very likely he was fed straight oats there which could be why he is not eating. worth giving them a try and then adding mix in slowly to change him to what you want to feed

fuzzle

Visit site
Id never feed a mix, why not phone main company like baileys or spillers they are more than happy send a rep out and give you samples of feed for him to try and also give you advise on feed to what he should be fed for the work he is in xxxxx

GlamourDol

Visit site
I asked the questions so as to better advise on what feed maybe suitable.

If he's in full competition work he will need a different diet to doing nothing, as again if hes out 24/7, or in 24/7.

There is no "one size fits all" when it comes to feeding, and giving out sarcastic answers is not going to help you when people are trying to help.

Absolutely no sarcasm in my reply I can assure you. For what it's worth he's four and just arrived in the country. After the replies from other posters and speaking in more depth to our trainer we now have some more options for him. The 3 year old is scoffing is little face so shows how different two from the same background can be!

Rocky01

Visit site
Have a look at St. Hippolyt feeds (I use the equigard with my boys and have been amazed at the results). They're also a german feed and possibly could be what he's used to (or similar to what he's used to). The Equigard is certainly not heating and not too expensive but both my horses go nuts for it.

ilvpippa

Visit site
Have you tried mollichaff veteran? My girl gets super sharp on anything @ is very fussy! This stuff is amazing & she eats everything. Plus I don't have to give much to get her to eat the other important stuff! It's only £7 a bag too

Tnavas

Visit site
Are you able to contact the previous owner to find out what the horse was originally eating?

Some horses do get travel sick, are you able to turn him out for a while? Can't help with brands but possibly going back to the basics oats, chaff, Sugarbeet, may tempt him.