Help - no brakes!!!!

M

madabout2

Moved horse from one yard to new yard. 2.5 mile hack . Horse was hyper! Now I know I was nervous/tense about leaving. We were fine (ish) until we met a blind man and his dog horse just lost the plot and spun and backed off into traffic. I managed not to run blind man down (how embarassing) and we went off in a frantic trot. Managed to cross main road with some semblance of control ( sideways) and walked up hill initially!! Then mett two transit vans well we had a mini rear and went for it!! I have never galloped on a road before and now I have. As this horse is reputed to have jumped 5' I was a little stumped as to what to face him at. Ended up a bus was parked next to tall hedge and I spun him to stop him there and lept off.

Now I know I was doing soemthing (prob lots of things) wrong. I stood in my stirrups, tried yanking on the reins and also doubled them across. So pulling him doesn't work. Neither does give and retake.

We were in a KK training snaffle - suggestions please. I am not going to be beaten.

Parkranger

Visit site
I sympathise as I was bolted down a main road once! Bloody scarey.

I diverted into a brick wall in the end, convinced I was going to go over it.

I've since been told, by an ex jockey that the only way to stop them is to lean right forward and pull the head around as close tothe bit on one side as possible - not sure I'd want to do that myself though as I'd go out the side door!

pixie

Visit site
My ex riding instructor had a horse she was riding bolt with her. She tried pulling its head round to one side where it was practically touching her foot, but it just kept going. She figured it ws safer for it to atleast see where it was going, as it was practically runnning blind. So she just sat and let it run out of steam.

Fscking scary though
frown.gif

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
From what you are saying it would matter little what bit you were using. Your horse had a panic attack & then after the initial spook it all went downhill & he spooked at every thing. I would pick someone at your new yard who has a bombproof horse & go out with them for short distances at a fairly quiet time. Your horse hopefully feed off the calmness of the other horse & gradually he will steady down. Good Luck

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
hello! *waves*
Long time no speak! Great to hear from you again - albeit in scary circumstances for you - I know exactly how you feel because this is how H behaves if I hack her out alone - she has got better but is a complete muppet if I don't feel in control (she likes to be dominated if that makes sense and if she thinks I'm at all insecure about anything she panics and says "stuff you" LOL!) The only way I can get her to come back to me is to throw the reins at her - literally give her nothing at all to pull against - but sit right up and back - she comes back to me then as it confuses her - but if I pull - she speeds up and goes even more hysterical! I don't envy you having to go through this - but there is hope - H is so much better behaved now (it's taken 3 years though LOL!!!)
Just out of curiosity - what are you feeding her? Is she generally stressy?
Kate x

Weezy

Visit site
Can I just say that to try and pull a horse'd head round, on a tarmac road, is just really asking for trouble - the surfaces on the roads these days is so slippery you are more likely to end up with a both of you on the ground scenario
crazy.gif

I think you need to go out with a schoolmaster as suggested above and see if you cannot get to the bottom of the prob

Also as Kate says, its useless pulling - once they decide to go there is little you can do, put stopping pulling and sitting up and back DOES work very well for some horses so it is worth a try

Good luck - its a horribly frightening experience to have

Parkranger

Visit site
Letting go of pressure works with Ty but then he tanks, doesn't bolt so it's not a fear thing......the only way I stopped (as said before) was to steer into a brick wall......

I have to say that even though I was given that advice about pulling them around, I wouldn't want to do it!

suestowford

Visit site
You have already had some good advice, so I won't repeat any of it. Just wanted to say that even my old chap who was as steady as they come was a bit bothered when we met a blind man and his guide dog, so you are not the only ones!

Weezy

Visit site
I HAVE used the grab the bit and pull round trick - but on the beach and on grass - I just wouldnt do it on tarmac as I can just see the horse crashing to the ground
crazy.gif
- In an ideal world we would all be riding on bridlepaths and in fields where we could do ever decreasing circles - unfortunately it seems we have fewer and fewer safe places to ride
frown.gif