Help please! Anyone know much about Friesians?

engab

Visit site
I am looking into buying a Friesian, and the one I am interested in is a grade 1.95% but not too sure what this means. His sire is TJESSE 400 and is suppose to be a fantastic sire. I have never had a Friesian before but know they are rare. How much would I be looking to pay for one? This horse is low mileage but schooled, rising 6 yrs 16.hh and fully papered. Thanks in advance

Maiko

Visit site
The percentage figure on the paperwork is in regard to the amount of in-breeding he has.

Where are you buying him from? How much are they asking?

Tjesse 400 was at one point DISAPPROVED by the KFPS due to less-than-adequate offspring, and as far as I know he was not re-approved, in fact he entered the German studbook instead. That said, he is a nice stamp of a horse, but obviously is not passing on the desired qualities to his youngstock.

HOWEVER, if the horse you are looking to buy is a nice chap and has no glaring conformation faults, and you like him, AND he can pass a vetting, then as a gelding his breeding becomes less of an issue.

ischa

Visit site
The 1.95% is Inbreeding Coefficients are shown on registration certificates of horses born after 1988. A low inbreeding coefficient indicates that a foal has few common ancestors, thus minimizing the chance of genetic defects. In the Friesian breed, retained placentas also may be associated with high inbreeding coefficients. The FPS recommends inbreeding coefficients below 5 percent if possible. A simple rule of thumb is that in a foal's pedigree, no one name should appear more than once within the first three generations (parents, grandparents, great-grandparents).

engab

Visit site
The horse is being sold privately by a lady that has had him for two yrs. She is selling due to ilness and she is looking for 3.5k. He was purchased from the breeder for 6k as a 2 yr old but again I have no idea. I have just always wanted one and I have found it difficult to get for for less than 5k. He moves well and is just a little on the lean side, but apart from that everything I want. But as he is reasonably priced I wanted to know if there was a catch. Would you buy a friesian and if so where would you look?

ischa

Visit site
I Would say price is about right and would be looking at about 3.000-3500.00 for what he Is !

Maiko

Visit site
Would you buy a friesian and if so where would you look?

Well, yes, as I have two!! LOL. Personally, I would always take a trip to Holland, as you get to see (and compare) lots of Friesians all in one place, whereas in the UK there are only one or two places that spring readily to mind where you could go and see more than one decent Friesian within the same visit (there are also several places to avoid!!!!).

There are many very good studs in the Netherlands to go Friesian shopping at, but it depends what you want to do with your horse as to whether you bother going out on a trip or buy from the UK. If you are looking to show or breed, then you will need a very good example of the breed. If you want to do dressage or just hack, then as long as the horse moves well (for dressage) or has a calm outlook (for hacking), it doesn't really matter hugely if it is not a top class example of the breed.

engab

Visit site
I have thought about travelling to Holland but again have to consider transport etc and I believe that because of the Euro they are rather expensive. The one I have seen is only 3.5k which will allow me to get tack etc and she is even offering him on a trial to the right home. I only want to do local shows and hacking