Help please, Basket saddles

Fun Foals

Visit site
My cousin is 19months and has cerebral palsy and we would like her to be able to ride like the rest of the kids in the family. She gets fed up with being held all the time so we thought a normal saddle wouldnt really be the same for her as she would have to be held the whole time. So we thought about a basket saddle (i think that is what they are called). Therefore she can still get the motion of riding and feel like she is riding without geting held on to the whole time.
My probllem is i cant seem to find anywhere that does them, not without spending a total fortune anyway.

Any help or ideas will be great, thanks!!

Daytona

Visit site
Not sure about them but by sister used one of those memory foam saddles that hold small children in. It was not cheap around £400 but manged to hold my 9 month old niece on her pony no bother. I will ask her the name of it

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
If she can sit upright on her own, it may be worth looking at somthing we used at RDA, it fitted over the saddle and had movable blocks to hold the riders legs in place. The blocks were attached to the over saddle with very strong velcro.

Foxhunter49

Visit site
When I tried to use a basket saddle with a CP child, she was quadrapheliac, (S?) It was not a lot of goos as she had no balance at all and the back rubbed her raw.
We had built a back support but that meant al; she was doing was sitting there.

I do like the look of the inky dinky above. It offers security without the child being trapped inside it.

Please start he off without stirrups, the pony's movement will encourage a lengthening of the legs far faster then any phsyio can do.

Dolcé

Visit site
We bought ours from Ebay, my grandson was riding in his at 9 months, he had been born 3 months early so was only the equivalent of a 6 month old in size and ability and he coped really well, he loved it. He sat like a little lord looking down at us all because the only one we have that I could trust 100% was the haffy. I had issues with being able to get him off quickly if we had to but OH walked alongside ready to spring into action if needed. I hope you find one because I am sure she will love it and it will be easier than having to hold on to her.

Fun Foals

Visit site
Thanks for all the advice, the inky dinky saddles look great but i dont think she would be strong enough yet to use one of them.
Thank you for the tip about the stirrups will keep that in mind once we find the right saddle.
I will have to keep an eye on ebay by the sounds of it as i dont want to spend alot on one if it is going to rub her where she cant support herself very well.
Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I would think a saddler could alter a cub saddle to have a bumper front and back like the inky dinky ones ;)

I would think from an off shoot physio side a sit astride rather than sit in could be good.