Help please - delinquent JRT

cbmcts

Visit site
I have a rescue JRT, he's about 8 and been with me since February.

Settled in well with my very old bitch, pushed his luck with her a few times and got a severe telling off from Lady Muck :D He's also good with my rottie, if a bit more inclined to be bossy as the rott is a soft boy who doesn't bother to put him in his box but all in all the house is peaceful.

He's a bit yappy still (I can't stand a noisy terror) but much improved, very bright and been a very quick learner in most things especially dinner time - if it is 5 minutes late the whinging starts ;) He's learnt that not all footballs belong to him, barking at the moon really isn't on, laps have to be shared, eating out of other dogs dishes might end up in him becoming dinner, oh and horses kick AND bite so best stay at a distance. His recall is pretty good nearly all of the time and we're working on convincing him that the only chicken he is allowed to eat is an already oven ready one. The goose is helping with this lesson :eek:

There is one thing that I cannot seem to crack. He is a sod it we come across an onlead dog - he goes bounding up and bounces around them yapping hysterically and goes completely deaf. He will follow me if I walk in the opposite direction (eventually) but is very hyped afterwards. He is also quite reactive if he is on lead and sees another dog but if he or any other dog is offlead he is as good as gold, sniffs and plays nicely or backs off if the other dog isn't up for a game.

Heywards thread hit a nerve with me as yes, I am that owner who has an ott dog that bothers others, I do everything to try get him back before he sees the other dog but sometimes you meet them unexpectedly :eek:

I was thinking of a long line but tbh I would prefer to avoid it in our local park if I could as a) I'm one of few who poo picks(yuk, think of what it could drag through) and b) I can foresee the odd child getting tangled in it as it's quite a busy park! Obviously I can and do keep him on lead but would like to progress beyond that.

Any advice or ideas?

gunnergundog

Visit site
OK, so you have a JRT that is mature and has only come to you recently.......I have a bitch that I have had since 9 weeks old and which by nature is a bully. She has been taught what is acceptable off leash but she still will target sitting ducks (ie on leash dogs that can't run away or exhibit normal behaviour).

A long line helps no end if you can bring yourself to use one...alternatively, try a different distraction - winding her up to a ball on a rope for instance and being aware to pre-empt situations?? You need to build a better bond with your dog so that you are what he desires above all else.....what rocks his boat? Is it high value food? Is it games and interaction with you? Is it physical touch, verbal praise, or what???

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
^^^ That :p

I would persevere with a long lead or even an extendy-lead, much as I don't like them, and try, try, try getting attention, this must start in the home, then move it to the backyard, then to the park, steadily adding distractions.
It will take a lot of repetition and it will get in the way of 'normal' walks but incorporating training into daily walks isn't that hard!

Like I say I would try to work hard on this, my GSD nearly made a snack of a JRT who bounced up to him and started humping his leg the other day, I find JRTs the most rude, sorry :eek:

Hedwards

Visit site
Firstly you are exactly the kind of dog owner my post was not aimed at, you're aware of your dog and what he's doing and make every effort to get him back, plus you're going all out to try and teach him to behave differently! Millie came to me as a puppy, so I haven't had the issues that come with a rescue, however I'd definitely recommend long lined like the others, and cheese seemed to really do the trick with Millie every time she cane back. Best of luck, and I really hope my other post hasn't left a sour taste in your mouth, it certainly wasn't meant that way!

cbmcts

Visit site
Thank you all.

Yes, I think that I'm going to have to get the long line out (latex gloves anyone?) as I've already done the extendable lead and while he is good with loose dogs on that, he still gives it large with on lead dogs.

I'm walking with a friend and her terriers tomorrow - one of whom is a class A bitch with rude dogs so that may become a training exercise....

Apart from this, the little dog has been a star - he came to me straight from his previous home with only a couple of hours in the rescue kennel for a vet check and jabs. He was obviously a very pampered pet :D because he worked very hard to try and train me to do things his way for a week or two but then settled down and slotted in beautifully.

Food and toys work a treat at home but are ignored completely when he is focused on something else when out. Funnily enough, he still has half an eye on me even while harrassing other dogs because if I walk off, he will follow.

I agree that he will get hurt if this behaviour continues and the fault will be all mine. Also, who needs their walk interrupted by my asbo dog doing puppy kung foo with theirs?

I'll also have a word with the rescue and see if they have any suggestions.

CC, I agree JRT are the worst for having an 'attitude'

Hedwards, your post just made me cringe because I agreed with everything you siad ....and then thought of how my dog had behaved an hour earlier!

GGD, I've yet to find his motivator but I'm working on it .