Help please - do I need to call the vet?

Bri

Visit site
After a bit of advice on whether I need to get the vet out or not?

Still waiting on a BOGOF foal to arrive. Mare has come in this evening with strange swellings on her stomach - I think it may be veins running to her udder. Her udder is hot and harder to the touch then it has been. It's also more swollen then it has been. I'm a first timer so not sure but is mastitis something mares can get before foaling? She's still happy for me to touch the udder so don't think she is too uncomfortable with it although she showed a slight reaction.

Tried to get a decent photo but this was the best I could manage.
WP_000110.jpg

Any advice gratefully received. Was going to call vets tomorrow morning to ask them but don't want to leave it til then if this is something that needs to be sorted asap.

Thanks very much :)

Bri

Visit site
Thank you!!

She has been swelling up over night for a few weeks now, and then comes back in in the evening and has reduced right down again. This is the first time she has had swelling on her stomach so wasn't sure if it was normal or not.

Bri

Visit site
Thanks toast, panic now over. Fingers crossed we'll have a foal soon as this whole waiting malarky is very stressful.

mynutmeg

Visit site
They get ventral oedema along the bottom of their bellies there in the later stages of pregnancy. And her udders will eventually become very swollen up and filled just before she foals.
Good luck