Help please - filled back legs

pinkcatkin

Visit site
My 14 year old mare is 6 months in foal and yesterday I noticed that her back legs looked a little filled, even though she had only been standing in for a couple of hours. She is normally out at night and in during the day, which will change when the weather gets vile. It just suits us at the moment and means that she is only in for about 7 - 8 hours a day. She has ad lib good quality hay and two small feeds, containing 2 cups of Baileys Stud Balancer and some chaff, carrots and apples (not always). She is in good health.

This happened once before but when she was on box rest. I think I was told I was giving her too much hay. I used to put stable bandages on her then and that helped.

Do you think she is getting too much? She has not put on any weight apart from the foal bump, as I weigh tape her and her weight is constant. I checked her at lunchtime today and they are up slightly again, not terrible, but fetlocks just lost som definition. Any comments gratefully received.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Does she have any scabs on her legs or on her heals??

I would definately swap her around to out day time in night time also - I think by most people's standards the weather turned vile this weekend - and the last thing you want her to do is drop condition.

I'd also be inclined to cut out the carrotts.

pinkcatkin

Visit site
No, no scabs. Why cut out the carrots?

Yes, think I might change her round. Just that I share with another friend and we had them out at night through the summer due to the flies and just kept going. Just that it would mean her standing in much longer. She has a lovely warm heavyweight rug with neck and is never cold when I get her in.

So you don't think it is due to too much hay. She can get through it very efficiently?!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
She has a lovely warm heavyweight rug with neck and is never cold when I get her in.

So you don't think it is due to too much hay. She can get through it very efficiently?!

[/ QUOTE ]
Carrots are not advised for horses prone to weight problems because of the sugar (I think) content - I wouldn't personally feed them to a horse that is having problems with filled legs because of the sugar content. Maybe I'm alone in that - but you can't be too careful.

I wouldn't have thought that having adlib hay would cause filled legs - have never heard of it doing so, but others may advise differently. Also, with having her in at night you can start roughing her off properly. You don't want her foaling and rugged.

You say she's not overweight at all - so unless you can find a physical reason (mud feaver etc), and you're sure it's not diet related, the next step would be for the vet.

JenHunt

Visit site
at this time of year i would keep the carrots in, they'll do no harm, and as the grass is generally rubbish over the winter all the succulents (carrots, apples, sugar beet etc) are a good idea as they provide the water soluble vits and mins that would normally come from grass in the summer.

if in doubt check with the vet. give them a ring and talk to them about it (advice is free, a visit isn't) and see from there if you need a vet out.

but my guess would be that its linked to the pregnancy, and will stop once she foals. stable bandages help by support the lymphatic and venous systems (keeps her blood flowing properly basically) in the legs, and as long as the vet thinks its nothing to be concerned about is likely to suggest them.

pinkcatkin

Visit site
Thanks for that, Yes you are right about having her in at night and out during the day as a prequel to roughing her off. I know she has to have all rugs off a month before foaling and it will be April then so weather hopefully a bit better. She couldn't have gone through the winter unrugged though as for an ID she is surprisingly unhardy.

Thanks for your help guys, so nice that everybody is so helpful with advice!

brownlow

New User
Visit site
Try feeding her clivers (cleavers) and marigold. They really help the lymphatic system. Think they're fine to feed a mare in foal, but if you want check with Hilton Herbs...they sell them and have a good advice line