Help please - Laminitis, barefoot vs shoes

Wilbur_Force

Visit site
My horse has had two bouts of laminitis since Feb this year. Owned him for 8 years and never had any trouble before. Diagnosed with EMS and PPID and currently on the meds required. He's always been barefoot, even before I owned him. He's now 15. What are your thoughts on heart bars/shoes to help him out? Currently out for an hour a day then in on a deep bed. Has soaked hay, little feeds x3 to get the meds into him. Is there anything else I can do? Vet and farrier both working together. Had X-rays and they show small rotation in both front feet. However, he has stretched laminae and bruising. He's comfortable on his feet but currently not in work due to hind limb annular ligament desmotomy at Newmarket in October and then the laminitis. Any advice most welcome :)

Last edited:

Apercrumbie

Visit site
I doubt that bars would help. If you feel his hoof needs support/padding would it be possible to put some padding at the bottom of some hoof boots? It's just an idea, no idea if it woud work so please take this idea with a pinch of salt - hopefully someone more experienced with barefoot laminitis recovery can confirm it's ok or say why it's a bad idea.