help please - mud, mud galore!!

pagancluf

Visit site
I am happy at my yard but am concerned about the amount of mud in my turn out field - there are three horses and this is their winter field (summer have 10 acres for 6 horses so good) the field is about 3 acres and only used in Winter, but at the gate and about 12 ft backwards the mud is upto the fetlock area! Really sloppy and I have decided to bring them in overnight and when college allows. I have contacted a builder/diy person and he is coming to see if "roadstone" about 6ft back from the fence will give them something better to stand on than the mud. Is there anything else I should look at as an alternative, and is anyone else in the same position?? Advise please...
confused.gif

pagancluf

Visit site
Never thought of muck on it? But doubt yard owner would approve - but I can see where your'e coming from..

The horses hang around at the gate as YO got a new horse and didn't want with the rest for a while so pinched our Winter grazing for a few months with another two horses ... so not much grass left - we are filling hay nets up and putting on fence ..we are not allowed to put on floor in field as gets trampled and wasted.

SSM

Visit site
Mud - what's that?
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Could they not go out in the top field?

Remember last year we had about a foot of mud all around the field and it was a nightmare, found the best thing was to bring in at night to let their feet dry off - I hibbiscrubbed and used NAF Mud Fever cream and sudocream. Used to sing the 'Hibbiscrub' (ketchup song) to her while I scrubbed - if I hear the song now I cry
frown.gif
(truly sad git that I am)

Sooty

Visit site
Welcome to my world... Field has gone from land to swamp in a matter of weeks. Am a bit wary of straw in gateway as it may turn slimey, but would be interested to know if anyone has tried it.

BuckingHorse

Visit site
We put down type one which is kind of like reject gravel and stuff. Roll it like mad with 4 x 4 or steamroller and it will form a hard base but grass will still go through.
I think the government should ban mud, it's really annoying me at the moment
mad.gif

flyingfeet

Visit site
In the old days you would have a midden - so put your muck out in a paddock which got trashed.

I am lucky enough to stick mine in cattle pens until its a bit less squidgy. However we also use washed 'drive' gravel in gateways as this is ironically cheaper than scalpings (sand and gravel) at £16 /ton + vat.

Does anyone use holey mats that grow grass through? Just wondered whether they are worth investing in?

fairhill

Visit site
Our YO has put down chipped bark (similar to the stuff used in maneges, but a cheaper version) round the gates. It's really helped, although mine chooses to stand away from the gate where it's like a marsh
crazy.gif

One of the other fields has concrete standing just inside the gate, which is good, but it gets very slippy if the horses decide to have a mad half hour.

vicm2509

Visit site
Its the same at our yard in all the winter field, I think anyone with winter turnout has mud! And ours is deeper than that, if I walk through it atm it stops about 3 inches below the top of my wellies and its really sticky mud like clay which has a habbit of sucking horseys shoes off not to mention my wellies. I have to wear 3 pairs of socks to keep my wellies on and put on waterproof pants or I end up with brown jodhpurs! The mud comes just below Barons knees in the deepest part.

YO put electric fence about 20 foot in from the gate but this just takes the mud further and further into the field throughout the winter. Luckily though our fields are massive (it will take a good 45mins to walk round the edge) so they are only stood in it when they are waiting to come in.

pagancluf

Visit site
Thanks for replies, will get local builder to give me a quote on ex-road stuff, NEW UPDATE - neddy no.2 has strained tendon in THE MUD by coming to the gate too fast....blinking mud - rol on summer....