Help please - people around Bath and Bristol

fine_and_dandy

Visit site
Well, nothing concrete and a bit more research required but I may be moving to Bath or Bristol and working in either Bath or Bristol.

I am investigating Bath first, and I will be going to Bath in a couple of weeks time to get a feel for things and look at properties etc. I don't know whether I will be living in the centre of Bath or not, but need some advice on livey yards.

Assuming I get the type of job I am after, I will no longer have "on call" hours [YAY!] and so can go back on DIY, which I have missed massively. It also means I will actually see so much more of Bailey, which I really haven't had much of lately due to work.

So, for people based around Bath/Bristol, can you refer me to any yards which I can have a nose around when I am in the area in the next two weeks? I would ideally like the following:-

Stable [don't mind if in a barn etc]
All year turnout [no restrictions such as 2 hours a day as Bailey prefers being out] with safe fencing
Adequate storage for tack, bedding etc
School is a must - bonus if it has an indoor school instead of or as well as outdoor school
Brilliant hacking - preferably with little roadwork
Option to have assisted DIY or Part when required [e.g. when away] and to have Bailey ridden as and when required
Allowed to have instructors at the yard or decent instructors already at yard

Could you also please let me know what you have already in relation to my wish list, and how much you pay for what you have, and rough cost of hay and bedding in the area etc.

I am willing to compromise on my wish list to a degree but as Bailey is a young horse I do want experienced people around particularly from a "ridden" point of view.

Please feel free to PM me, and to post websites and contact details.

Thanks for your help! Home made peach crumble with clotted cream for all that assist!

Kirsty :)

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
Church Farm at Monkton Farleigh has pretty much everything on your list, lovely YO's, very helpful. It's about a 15 minute drive out of the middle of Bath.

Visit site
Hi, I cant recommend actual yards, but the riding country to the West of Bath is really really nice. There are quite a few DIY yards around there - perhaps go to "Jennys Tack Shop" and the saddlers next to Lansdown Racecourse or give them a ring - they would know of all the local places. Good Luck and welcome to the West Country!!!

dieseldog

Visit site
I saw an advert for this yard, they are near Toghill, supposed to be nice.

DIY,PART OR FULL LIVERY available at Hamswell farm, near wick. whole year turn out, 200acres of safe farm land to ride on and has school with lights. spaces for trailer parking and has tack rooms etc. very friendly yard. call Becky for details: 07901 552978

MeganLindsx

Visit site
Hi, I cant recommend actual yards, but the riding country to the West of Bath is really really nice. There are quite a few DIY yards around there - perhaps go to "Jennys Tack Shop" and the saddlers next to Lansdown Racecourse or give them a ring - they would know of all the local places. Good Luck and welcome to the West Country!!!

I have family around that area and they have horses on a very nice DIY yard which I will try and find out what yard it is but there are several good yards around that area. Also have family in Tunley (just outside Bath) which is lovely and loads of yards around that area.

So its a bit vague lol

monkeybum13

Visit site
I saw an advert for this yard, they are near Toghill, supposed to be nice.

DIY,PART OR FULL LIVERY available at Hamswell farm, near wick. whole year turn out, 200acres of safe farm land to ride on and has school with lights. spaces for trailer parking and has tack rooms etc. very friendly yard. call Becky for details: 07901 552978

Ditto this, saw this advert and thought it sounded very nice.
Would be freezing cold in the winter though, the hill isn't called Freezing Hill for nothing ;);)

Good Luck finding a yard with an arena and ayr Bristol side of Bath, there are a few but are all full with long waiting lists!

Jennys Tack Shop has been gone for a few years now, it has had several new owners, think its called The Tack Room now. Other tack shops include Pointings, Cow Mills, Sodbury Vale.

Last edited:

fine_and_dandy

Visit site
Monkeybum - which yards are they? I am not likely to be moving until later this year and so can wait out a list if required!

I cannot compromise on the arena and all year turnout. Bailey goes bonkers if he can't go out [something to do with being on 3 months box rest as an 18 month old] and as he is a young horse and I would like to continue his schooling and education, I need a school - I'm not fussy as to whether it is indoor or outdoor or both!

riding_high

Visit site
depends which side of Bath you lived as travelling through Bath is manic if you go rush hour!
i'm about 7 miles south of Bath and there's a few places in the area, Wellow has good hacking and a couple of yards (Wellow trekking centre is one although it's not got winter turnout), white horse feeds in marksbury, tunley and a few 'private yards around too.

one place i would advise against is church farm in priston, it's a nice place and great riding but the owner is a bit crazy, i don't know anyone who has stayed there longer than a couple of months!

Tooster

Visit site
Hello

If you end up living on the South East side of Bath (towards Bradford on Avon) I know a private yard where I kept a horse about 7 years ago. It has a massive arena (the biggest I've ever seen on a yard) with a complete set of jumps, some cross country and racing jumps, loads of fields and an all-weather gallop. When I was there it was DIY only and had turnout most days (only not allowed when it got really really boggy). The hacking around there was OK ... you could get over towards Wellow if you wanted (I did it few times). I'm not sure if the lady still does livery anymore, but I could give you her number if you wanted.

I now live South of Bristol and am in a lovely yard about 10 miles south of the city ... but it's not DIY sorry .. but it has amazing hacking on the Mendips, an arena and a fab atmosphere :)

Welcome to the West Country ... hope you like it here :)

Ebbo

Visit site
The best hacking (more off road than lanes) is on the south or western side of Bath. The eastern side is lanes with bridlepath few and far between.

The first place I always start is with an OS map (or Street map online), find the best hacking and then work around that. Nearly every yard in the area has an arena (of sorts).

Good luck!

indiat

Visit site
I livery at Wellow and it does do winter turnout now, during the day only, for geldings. We have an indoor and outdoor yard, good facilities all round, a little bit of off road hacking and access to lovely rides once you get through the village.