Help please- Really worried about my dog

kirstie

Visit site
I'm worried about my dog, I will be taking him to the vets on Tuesday but I am wondering if anyone on here knows what might be wrong.

He is a 9yr old GSD dog, uncastrated. Have never bred from him. He seems ok in himself, is eating normally and seems happy but he has blood dripping out from his nether regions.
I noticed it yesterday evening, a couple of hours after we got back from our walk, there were drops of blood on the floor, scattered around.
I cleaned the floor and went to bed, there was a little bit on the floor this morning but it seemed to have stopped.
I've just been grooming him now and quite a few drops of blood came out again.
I'm really worried about him, I can't help but think it may be serious. He is my baby, can't bear the thought of him being really ill.
Does anyone know what this could be?

Cedars

Visit site
I wouldnt be manically worried although I know thats actually impossible!

I would place a bet on it being something like a kidney infection. Definitely take to the vets asap, but I wouldn't be overly stressed.

Ensure he keeps drinking xxxx

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
From his penis?? Probably prostate problems, or some dogs pleasure themselves with their teeth ( sorry to be blunt).. if you aren't going to get him neutered sometimes a tardak injection (chemical castration) will sort the problem for a bit. Or if hes urinating frequently if could be crystals in the urine, best to take a urine sample with you to the vets on Tuesday, this will be as important as taking the dog, collect it in a clean container like a jar, but not one thats had jam etc in it as it will give a false sugar reading.

kirstie

Visit site
Yes, his penis.
I'm pretty sure he isn't doing anything with his teeth, I'm with him most of the time, I haven't noticed anything strange.
I know there are pro's and con's to castrations, but he is a good dog, doesn't display any unwanted behaviours, if he had we would have got him castrated.
He is drinking and eating normally.

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
It might well be a urethritis, take the urine sample, if he has crystals in his urine it can be as simple as a food change. I suspect its prostate problems tho, often happens in older entire males, don't worry too much, let us know what the vet says :)

kirstie

Visit site
Thanks very much. Have been doing some googling, looks like a prostate problem, you are probably right.
Hopefully nothing serious, will take him to the vets where we can get it sorted. Thanks for your advice :)

gunnergundog

Visit site
OK....this is going to be a bit grim and apologies to any men reading this, BUT.....have you been with him and seen what he's been up to when you've been out and about since before this happened? Just that one of my male dogs a while back urinated and then dived through a barbed wire fence when he spotted a muntjac (naughty boy!). Unfortunately, he hadn't fully retracted his penis and caught the end on one of the barbs. :eek: It may be worth checking the area fully to ensure that there are no nicks or tears......especially if he is long-coated.