Help please with the worlds most difficult to bit horse..

vam

Visit site
Ok so what would you put in when your horse yanks, leans, pulls, snatches and generally pulls through the bit?
I have tried him in a single joint, lozenge, French link, Happy mouth straight bar, Nathe straight bar, waterford and he will the same in all of them. I have used them in either a pelham or snaffle and while he might be ok for a couple of rides the it always goes the same way.
I know its a schooling issue but unless the planets a line there is often something thats holding us back. Dont get me wrong ive worked my butt off and we have made huge progress as i think i've worked out his buttons but i think the bitting is the final piece of the puzzle i need to sort for it to all to come together.
Today i schooled him in a metal ported pelham and the difference was amazing. For the first time i didnt have to keep his great big dinosaur head up for him, he was still active and i had more softness in his neck. But, there is always a but, i felt it was maybe a bit too much. He as no room in his mouth and i think the port although small may have come into contact with the top of his mouth but not sure.
I want to find something that works for him and is comfortable but also works for me. Im wondering if a different port (bombers or NS) might work or something else completely. He is classic wb, low palate, fleshy lips, big tongue.
Help please before my head explodes from looking a bit bank websites! :eek:

Cop-Pop

Visit site
Is he related to my horse by any chance? ;) She was a nightmare to bit initially - couldn't find anything she went well in until one day she suddenly decided she liked a fixed ring french link. All was well (barring some tongue over the bit bolting action :rolleyes: ) until recently when she started setting herself and generally being an arse and I lost brakes and steeting. Her tongue is quite large and I didn't want to go down the route of getting stronger and stronger bits so got a loose ring french link with a very narrow mouth piece. So far so good although managed to jab her in the mouth the other day when she spooked and left me behind which resulted in an epic tantrum!

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
I have a horse that is difficult but very sensitive, I have to swap between a loose ring lozenge snaffle (he goes better in one of those angled mouthpieces) and a curb bit- usually put him in a kimberwick for a session as he isn't fond of the Pelham. He feels secure in the kimberwick but has a lot more respect for it- so the next session schooling he doesn't fight the snaffle as much :) it also alters my riding style, as I have extremely light aids in the curb bit and when going back to the snaffle I ride on the same 'feel' of the mouth.
It's a very fine balance and when the horse is fighting is hard not to take a pull back, even if you don't realise it- so rather than teaching my horse to fight , I find it a lot more beneficial to keep him listening

debsandpets

Visit site
I have a horse who has a scar the full width of his tongue from his breaking in in Argentina. I bought him and was told he could only ever be ridden in a shanked western bit - nonsense I have tried him in various different loose ring snaffles, but have now ended up with a bombers bit - it is the ported - so happy tongue Williams check piece which has a sliding central bar which keeps him entertained as he likes to play with his mouth constantly.
Very happy with it so far :)

Mike007

Visit site
That is a really scarey bit. The idea is sound , cant fault that,but I would be terrified of the hinge failing after a short while.

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
perhaps you could change his bit every wee while to keep him on his toes. (I dont mean a new bit every week, just a rotation of the ones you have) This is what I was recommended to do with my mare as like your horse.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Mine has been very difficult to bit and struggled to learn to accept the contact. Finally tried him in a NS Verbindend (borrowed from a friend initially because I wasn't convinced it would work) and bingo! He loves it. He accepted it straight away and although he tried his evasions (which were similar to OP's horse), they were only half hearted and he only tried to evade a couple of times. I was surprised but that bit really did make a huge difference to him.

lucemoose

Visit site
I would have a chat to bombers?
I have a chain and a happy tongue from them think they are great.
I also have a chain grackle which worked fabulously for ruby who was a tiny hot tank? Maybe a chain grackle/ drop or flash?
Universal type bit with a back strap?
Go the other way and happy mouth and loose caves son?!?!

wench

Visit site
I'd try ringing bit world (I think that's their name) based in Leics. if you look at their website they've got loads of bits available, and they are knowledgable. Helped me to bit a difficult horse.

vam

Visit site
Thanks guys, I've tried a verbinbend and French link but same results. I think I will have to give q bit bank a call and see what they say. I rode him in the nathe again today and he wasn't bad ( bar the huge amount of spooking he did which meant he didn't really want to go forward :rolleyes: ) so will leavehim in that as it seems to work. I think a bombers is the way to go so might get one on trial and go from there. I just have to be careful as if I bit him up touch he will throw a hissy fit and he will either plant or go up. Me and my instructor think he might be the type that needs the bits changed every now and again but I still want him to be comfortable

emmah

www.amazingpase.co.uk
I use a running gag with a nathe mouth piece on my horse and find its a good combination. She isn't strong in her mouth but can be a bit of a general idiot with her head a neck so I found the gag was the nicest way to have control. I sympathise with your bitting issues I have been through all this with mine!!

asmp

Visit site
Like Debsandpets I have an argentinean pony and i ride him in a magic bit (also called a Cambridge mouth snaffle). It has a very small port and is quite mild.

suzysparkle

Visit site
I have similar issues and my Horse goes best in a Hilary Vernon Ported Dalehead bit. This one http://www.horsebitbank.com/hartwell-dalehead-short-shank-303.phtml. The best snaffle I found was a Sprenger Turnado, the stainless steel version which is 1/4 the price of Aurigan. It's single jointed but angled in a different way. My Horse has very fleshy lips, low palate and a huge tongue. He cuts the corners of his mouth on most bits, despite being soft mouthed he can also be very strong. This issue doesn't happen with either of the two bits I mentioned. I have tried pretty much everything, most 'standard' bits, mikmar, myler, bitless (he hated bitless) etc. The one other bit I have heard can be a godsend is the Mark Rashid recommended Rockin S Ported bit. I have never tried one bit it certainly looks like it could be useful.