Help! Possibly moving to Oundle! (also in SY)

Malibu_Stacy

Visit site
.... Admittedly not until Xmas, but come the new year I'll probably be predominantly working in Oundle, with odd days commuting back to Cambridge (where I currently am). Realistically I'm not going to be able to cope with horse on DIY and an hour commute either end of the day so, could anyone in the area advise on:

(1) any livery yards (see below for further details of what I'd be looking for) in the area. Recommendations? Places to avoid? (pm if you want) Looking on google there don't seem to be many 'big' (i.e. with website!) yards close by but tbh I'd probably be happier at somewhere lower key, leading onto...
(2) any tack shops in the area I can do some scouting trips to look for livery adverts? Or any riding clubs?
(3) any recommendations for farriers/ vets etc? (think its too far for both my current vet and farrier unfortunately).

Livery wise I'd be looking for DIY with some assistance (either formal paid or sharing chores with others on yard). Priorities are: Turnout (all year, 24/7 in summer, with company); Good hacking; School with lights; sane YO (last one may be the killer!)

Much wine in thanks :)

CalllyH

Visit site
oh dear poor you! No seriously its nice round there my dad lives very near there but its quiet! probably a bit too quiet for my liking!

Tower Farm saddlers is my favourite tack shop round that way in Earls Barton.

Theres also the dodson and horrell country supplies shop that has a lot of notices on there board for livery spaces (I was there a couple of weeks ago and there was some very nice ones being advertised) but the horsey clothing range isnt amazing but has all the basics you will need for the neddies. Thats in Ringstead

Malibu_Stacy

Visit site
oh dear poor you! No seriously its nice round there my dad lives very near there but its quiet! probably a bit too quiet for my liking!

Tower Farm saddlers is my favourite tack shop round that way in Earls Barton.

Theres also the dodson and horrell country supplies shop that has a lot of notices on there board for livery spaces (I was there a couple of weeks ago and there was some very nice ones being advertised) but the horsey clothing range isnt amazing but has all the basics you will need for the neddies. Thats in Ringstead
Great thank you CallyH, will have to start planning an excusion over there to scout out noticeboards/potential yards

It was a bit of a shock, I only found out today and thought I'd be placed much closer to Cam. :eek: :(

Last edited:

Tilda

Visit site
I live practically across the road from dodsons so will happily pop over for you if you don't find any suitable places on your first visit. I will also PM you the contact number for my yard manager because our yard is the best in the area :D x

Malibu_Stacy

Visit site
I live practically across the road from dodsons so will happily pop over for you if you don't find any suitable places on your first visit. I will also PM you the contact number for my yard manager because our yard is the best in the area :D x
Both of those things would be very helpful, although I fear a yard that far away would be a bit of trek (unless your yards is closer towards Thrapston/ Oundle?). Thank you in any case :)

CalllyH

Visit site
Tilda my dad lives in Raunds. I come home every few weeks and am desperate to ride when I'm down on holiday can you suggest anywhere close to you?

Goya

Visit site
Riding clubs in that area are
Rockingham Forest
Wittering Academy
Keysoe
Huntingdon
Cambridge
All these have websites so you can look them up. All do a variety of activities and all compete at Area level.