Help quick what have I done

Madam_max

Visit site
I moved Corroy to her new yard on Saturday and she was really good, hacked out on Saturday, went in front and looked after another horse, had a lesson on Sunday, really good and hacked her on her own. She was on Regumate, but I forgot to pick it up from old yard (I had planned to take her off it as it's winter). She was turned out on Monday next to her old friend, who is a gelding who was cut late and has covered. She really wound him up, so he had to be moved. Tonight I went to the yard and she's really unsettled, not really eating, tried to get on her she wouldn't even stand at the mounting block, went down to the school, it was a bit dar, but this doesn't bother her. She really played up in the school and I had to get off, she was calling and really on her toes. I walked her round and I admit she did get told off every time she called. I got back on whe someone else came down and she worked well. What have I done. Shall I phone the vet and get some more Regumate until she settles. I feel like crying.
frown.gif

LauraBR

Visit site
Chin up, might not be the regumate!

God, when Sam arrived he was mental for a month and has only just (3 months down line) stopped screaming when taken away from friends.

When I moved Fal everyone at new yard was convinced he was a rig for a month
shocked.gif
blush.gif
nearly got blood tests done but then he settled...

Friends Clydsdale x went mental when he moved to current yard, jumped out over huge hedge...

All three once settled were the sweetest, quietest horses on the yard!

Moving does strange things to them, try not to get worked up as it won't help her!
wink.gif

the watcher

Visit site
don't panic, she has just moved, this is normal..just taken her a couple of days to realise that she is not going home at the end of the day and she will be trying to bond with new friends..it will settle down

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
Please don't worry!!

Little man moved yards a fortnight ago. Prior to this he'd been an angel, been getting on so well with his education etc.

Since he's moved he's tried to take all out heads off, bitten me numerous times, escaped (and galloped down the road towards old yard), tried to double barrel me three times, and sppoks at everything. He spends all day snorting and sweating up.

I heard it can take months for them to settle in. I have found as long as little man has planty of hay, and things to keep him occupied he is easier to handle. He's too interested in his food to bother stressing out.

Weezy

Visit site
Ditto the others - Boss calls ALL the time, winds everything else up (he has now had 3 different fields and partners and is now alone
crazy.gif
) - he has been here 6 weeks now and is just about settling - he hasnt stressed, just been stamping his authority AND HE IS MALE!

BREATHE, relax, she WILL be OK!

S_N

Visit site
Oh hun, she will settle, please try not too panic!!! She has obviously realised that actually she is NOT going back to what she thought was home - it will take her a while to settle - took Tops about 5 months tbh (but then he'd never lived anywhere other than the place where he was born) and took B 3 months at the old yard and about a month at this one! H wasn't bothered by their move at all, after all the milk bar was still with him!

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
a stable toy, one of those balls which hold nuts (
grin.gif
PMSL ...sorry!!!
blush.gif
) are good.
....anyway, I am gradually increasing little man's TO because at the start he spent an hour and a half fretting and sweating up (and churning up YO's best paddock), so we have only just got him going out for a whole day at a time.

Basically I think she's just being a mare who's found a nice boy to look at, it's all new, and she will settle with time. Try lungeing her, and see if you can turn her out at different times to this gelding so that she doesnt wind him up too much, and introduce them slowly.

LauraBR

Visit site
Give her time. Make sure you are relaxed and 'breezy' when around her (even if she is screaming and you feel stressed to hell!), it does make a difference.

Keep us posted, and try not to worry, she'll be fine!

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
Little man has done NO work since he's arrived at new yard. This is for my own safety!! If I were you I'd just lunge her until she settled, and she WILL settle. You need to remember that she's come out of her comfort zone into a new yard, with new herd and new pecking order. New smells, sights, sounds, it will all be very confusing for her. She will take a while to get used to things. Until then, don't risk anything by hacking her out, just school and lunge her, and walk her out inhand to see her new hacking territory. Is there someone with a horse she will get on with who you can ride with?

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
my lot all scream sometimes, the pony being the worst and the most bargy!

Titch will scream his head off if he thinks he may be on his own, freddie just boogers off, doesnt bother to scream!

Give her time to settle in. They are not machines and we all have different moods, lunge her if you cant face getting on her, try and get some beans out!!

LauraBR

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Little man has done NO work since he's arrived at new yard. This is for my own safety!! If I were you I'd just lunge her until she settled, and she WILL settle. You need to remember that she's come out of her comfort zone into a new yard, with new herd and new pecking order. New smells, sights, sounds, it will all be very confusing for her. She will take a while to get used to things. Until then, don't risk anything by hacking her out, just school and lunge her, and walk her out inhand to see her new hacking territory. Is there someone with a horse she will get on with who you can ride with?

[/ QUOTE ]

totally echo this and also, I found long reining a GOD SEND- fab way of getting horse out and about in new yard.

Madam_max

Visit site
This is the problem if I hack her with someone from the beginning she becomes very clingy and then napping gets worse, so I really need her to think for herself.

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
But now I'm dreading hacking her on her own and she can be extremely nappy and this won't help.
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm then maybe long rein her out? Almost as soon as I've weaned my 2 I will be doing this with B - part of my get fit and back on board plan for both of us - an you should see the HILLS round here
ooo.gif
ooo.gif

Dogbetty141

Visit site
My Tb was the same when I moved him after about a month he had settled in nicely and once out in the field and he had mates was like a dream. My horse loves his GG mates.

Kelly1982

Visit site
I wouldn't worry at all.

When i first got my new mare i thought 'oh my god what have i brought'. She used to call continuoulsy if taken down to the sand school, she used to become dangerous if any of the horses where taken out of her site (and i do mean dangerous!!). She kicked massive holes in her stable and it had to be re-built twice. She was so bad and even tying her up was near on impossible.

I even rang her old owners and they said they had never experienced anything like that with her and she has always been really quiet.

Nearly 4 months on and she is almost settled. She still gets upset if the horses are taken out of her site but she is not dangerous with it anymore, before you couldn't get near her and she used to drip from head to toe with sweat.

Our other mare also took about about 3 months to settle and it wasn't until about 9 months before her personality started to come through.