Help Required Professional Opinion Needed - GRC Baillif Removal

LoCost LAW

New User
Visit site
Good Afternoon

Apologies for the direct post.

Currently we are dealing with a removal of 2 horses by GRC in assoc with a council under the Control Horses Act 2015

My reason for contacting is this :-

Removal of 2 cobs.
01:30am
No Vet on Site.
No Professionals on Site bar the Transport Company and GRC Bailiffs.
No current Details of Transport company as to licensed or comply with various legislation ref Transport for Commercial Gain

Question is this :

What steps would a responsible Horse owner / Professional take to move 2 horses that are totally unknown to them. Including requirements in Animal Welfare Act 2006 etc ?

Many Thanks for your help in this matter in advance.

Regards

Warren Salter

Tern

Visit site
Good Afternoon

Apologies for the direct post.

Currently we are dealing with a removal of 2 horses by GRC in assoc with a council under the Control Horses Act 2015

My reason for contacting is this :-

Removal of 2 cobs.
01:30am
No Vet on Site.
No Professionals on Site bar the Transport Company and GRC Bailiffs.
No current Details of Transport company as to licensed or comply with various legislation ref Transport for Commercial Gain

Question is this :

What steps would a responsible Horse owner / Professional take to move 2 horses that are totally unknown to them. Including requirements in Animal Welfare Act 2006 etc ?

Many Thanks for your help in this matter in advance.

Regards

Warren Salter

Can't say my opinion in professional, however, the transporters (if you're using professional) will have equine experience and will load onto lorry or trailer on your behalf. They know all of the rules about stopping after a certain amount of hours.

chillipup

Visit site
Hi Warren,

I think you need to arrange their removal by licensed horse transporters. They will have all the knowledge/comply with regulations etc. Unless the horses are in a poor bodily condition or have any obvious wound or injury you should be ok without vet. However, if in any doubt what so ever, a vet ( from a large animal vet practice) on site, will be able to confirm that the animals are fit to be transported.

Professional Horse transporters are pretty horse savvy regarding the handling, loading and transporting of them - it's their job. The Council requesting the removal should be responsible for their fees and should be over-seeing their removal. Hope this is of some help.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Please don't think that I am being rude, but if these horses have been removed because they were being fly grazed, then I would not be inclined to assist you in attempting to prove that there was some negligence in the way the transporter removed them.

If they were removed at one thirty in the morning, then I assume that it was because it was feared that a breach of the peace would occur in daylight, or they would disappear if it were left longer.

Fly grazing is a nightmare for landowners.

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
Please don't think that I am being rude, but if these horses have been removed because they were being fly grazed, then I would not be inclined to assist you in attempting to prove that there was some negligence in the way the transporter removed them.

If they were removed at one thirty in the morning, then I assume that it was because it was feared that a breach of the peace would occur in daylight, or they would disappear if it were left longer.

Fly grazing is a nightmare for landowners.

This was my first thought, GRC seem to be professional equine bailiffs so you would expect them to use professional transporters well used to handling horses, I cannot see any reason for a vet to be required to attend unless the animals in question were injured or unwell in which case I would think the RSPCA would probably have been involved.

LoCost LAW

New User
Visit site
Fully understand peoples personal opinions in relation to fly grazing. No issue with that.

Obviously totally unable to disclose any information but not as straight forward as that ;-)

My thoughts would have been surrounding the following issues :-

Moving Horses at 01.30am - Any issues in relation to stress, spook, headlights etc and additional risks due to darkness etc ?

Boxing issues ? Box Shy ? heightened levels of danger to the horses ?

Would it not be preferable to move horses in daylight hours ?

Again people just questions :)

Many thanks

be positive

Visit site
Yes there are risks involved with moving them at any time of the day or night but to get answers that you can use to take this further you need to employ the services of a professional rather than get opinions from a group of strangers on a forum who have no idea of the circumstances involved.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Fully understand peoples personal opinions in relation to fly grazing. No issue with that.

Obviously totally unable to disclose any information but not as straight forward as that ;-)

My thoughts would have been surrounding the following issues :-

Moving Horses at 01.30am - Any issues in relation to stress, spook, headlights etc and additional risks due to darkness etc ?

Boxing issues ? Box Shy ? heightened levels of danger to the horses ?

Would it not be preferable to move horses in daylight hours ?

Again people just questions :)

Many thanks

Most people who travel with horses will load happily after dark. In winter we compete and go for lessons after work. There is no issue. My own Lorry is lit and will also light a large area of car park/field and professional transporters will be the same.

You're on a hiding to nothing trying to make an issue out of this seizure unless the horses were damaged due to obvious negligence and the people who now own them following seizure are concerned. Picking up after dark is not negligent.

Last edited:

meesha

Visit site
GRC are experienced, I know them and they are very professional. My guess without checking would be to utilise the best time of day to avoid conflict with other persons !