Help selling a horse....

Wheresthehoofpick

Visit site
So, making a heart breaking head over heart decision to sell. I am a lifer so have never sold before. Sadly due to the health of my children my boy will not fit our family life going forward.

I have exhausted my word of mouth contacts. I really didn't want to advertise as I wanted to find him the genuine forever home he deserves.
He is a much loved family horse with a wonderful temperament. By word of mouth I priced him at 5k but I know that on the open market at that price someone will teach him to jump and sell him on.
Has anyone got any wisdom for me. Best place to advertise? How to weed out numpties? One of my real issues is that despite me being very adamant that he needs a smaller rider people who are too tall are interested then tell me he is too small. He is 15.3 but very slight ISH. Height is in his legs.

Feeling sad and a bit lost.

Wheresthehoofpick

Visit site
What's wrong with teaching him to jump?
Nothing wrong at all. It's not my skill set which is why he is not being sold as experienced at it. He is perfectly capable now he has built muscle.

The point is in an ideal world I want to do my best to find him a long term home - not one where he will be turned around and sold on for a quick buck. He is a 1:1 sensitive type.

Griffin

Visit site
Do you have to sell, would long term loaning be an option? I am just thinking that if you loan him, you may have more control over finding the right home for him, with a possibility of selling him to them at a later date if you would like to.

catembi

Visit site
I have PM'd you. My horse of a lifetime (to replace the previous horse of a lifetime who turned out to have PSSM) has also got PSSM, so is retired. He was only 4 last month, aaarrrgghhh...! I am 5 ft 1, sub 8st, my just retired horse is a lightweight 15.3 ISH (sold as 15.3...don't think he's that big) and the QH I had before him was a similar size and build.

Or if anyone has or knows of anything 15.2/3 ish, lightweight, upwards of 3 yo...? Ex racers fine - another field ornament is an ex racer. Just backed is fine. Might consider unbacked. I keep all my field ornaments so now have 4 retired horses + a Shetland... QH is on loan as a companion & I ought to loan the ISH and the Dartmoor pony who also has PSSM. So, I have nothing to ride, and a new arena doing nothing and a little lorry doing nothing, and some more jump for joy jumps on their way that are no longer needed...!

Wheresthehoofpick

Visit site
I have thought about loaning. I would be very happy to loan with a view to buy.

Bottom line is though that I want at some point to get something more suitable to join our little herd and my finances mean that I need to sell my boy.

I will look at my messages. Happy to send details on if that is allowed.

I love this horse. He is a heart stealer. We just ultimately need something bigger and stronger and more suitable for my tall, heavy and very novice family.

We have a fab 15hh Cob but they can't all ride her!!!
Our aged (23) loan boy 15.3 is moving towards retirement. Our 12.2 (22) probably has one more summer before we retire him too when my son grows out of him. He would go on longer but we are not moving him on as he is too precious to us.

Last edited:

Wheresthehoofpick

Visit site
I have PM'd you. My horse of a lifetime (to replace the previous horse of a lifetime who turned out to have PSSM) has also got PSSM, so is retired. He was only 4 last month, aaarrrgghhh...! I am 5 ft 1, sub 8st, my just retired horse is a lightweight 15.3 ISH (sold as 15.3...don't think he's that big) and the QH I had before him was a similar size and build.

Or if anyone has or knows of anything 15.2/3 ish, lightweight, upwards of 3 yo...? Ex racers fine - another field ornament is an ex racer. Just backed is fine. Might consider unbacked. I keep all my field ornaments so now have 4 retired horses + a Shetland... QH is on loan as a companion & I ought to loan the ISH and the Dartmoor pony who also has PSSM. So, I have nothing to ride, and a new arena doing nothing and a little lorry doing nothing, and some more jump for joy jumps on their way that are no longer needed...!
I think have successfully messaged you.