Help - Selling question...

bandit

Visit site
hi there....

i've had a few enquiries about my horse / hunter for sale which is lovely, however one person today asked if he'd be suitable to carry a 13 stone man????

i've had him for 3 years and although handled by men at the yard, i've not had a bloke ride him.

i'm not 8 stone myself, more like 10 but wondered if the extra weight would be an issue???

for those that don't know him, he's a 16-1 hand IDx 12 yr old gelding... no idea what 'bone' he has....

anyone got opinions on this, not 100% sure if he'll be the right horse for htem....

Bx

Kelly1982

Visit site
Did they say how competent he was?? If he is a fairly good/balabced rider i would say he would be ok but if not then i would be a bit worried about him bouncing all over the place.

I know in theory it should be ok but knowing Ludo and his previous pelvis problems i think i would be a bit weary TBH.

They can only come down and try him though and see how you feel from there.

Rambo

Visit site
Not all men are *bad* lol!

I was about that size as a teenager and used to jump a 15.3hh pure tb ex-racer without any problems. An IDx should be able to cope alright. As Kelly says, it depends on the rider though
tongue.gif

bandit

Visit site
cheers - they are looking to do all very small stuff, he's apparently a competant rider, and the biggest jumps they would consider is 2-9 and looking for a nice alrounder - hack etc. and seemed interested in how he would be on the ground etc, and his personality.

also have a girl interested in him poss coming on saturday from Wiltshire where she would hunt him not more than about 6 times in a season and just lost a 24yr old hunter so looking for somehting younger - TBH i liked the sound of her a bit more!!

Bx

miamibear

Visit site
My horse is the same "type" as yours IDx hunter type and he would easily carry in excess of 13st so i would have thought so. Ask about riding ability too though because a 13st sack of potatoes is pretty heavy but someone who holds himself properly will feel a lot lighter!

miamibear

Visit site
I suppose its wether you think you have another sale lined up and if you want to sell as soon as possible.

13st isnt that heavy really! Im 12.5st and mine carries me fine!

I would have a look at him 9 times out of 10 they say they want to go away and think and that gives you time to think too.

Arrange the other viewing for before them if you prefer them!

Kelly1982

Visit site
If i wasn't happy with the people if they phoned back for a second viewing etc then i would say he has already been sold subject to vetting and someone else has left a deposit or something.

sojeph

Visit site
Should be no problem if he's a half decent rider. I weigh around that and wouldn't hesitate to get on something that size. I reckon most men are around that weight anyway if not more.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
well, if a native 14.2hh is capable of carrying a 13 stone man with ease then i should think a IDx would be capable! See what sort of rider he is, and tell them you have someone else lined up to see it. Then if you don't think he's suitable just say oh the other person offered me 500 quid more if they could leave a deposit......

Claireg9

Visit site
Try not to be judgemental until you've met them, sme people dont like phones so sound and look alot better in the flesh, if you pass him up without a look it could mean your throwing away the best home your horse could ever wish for, granted it could be the worse home too, but seeing him will help you decide that, and 13st should be fine for a horse of that size. (Providing he has no history of major back problems!)
Id let him come and see him, you can always tell him you dont think he's suitable for your horse if you dont like the look of him.
Keep you options open you never know!!