Help, sitting up too much over a fence

frannieuk

Visit site
I've been looking at some video's and pics of me jumping and I seem to have got into a bad habit of sitting up too much over a fence.
confused.gif

I'm fine up to the highest point of the leap and then start to sit up, often to the point that i am almost leaning back slightly by the time we land, this also means my hands come up. Naturally this seems to get worse as the fences get bigger - any advice welcomed please
smile.gif

the watcher

Visit site
I am not sure of your experience or the heights you are jumping, or your weight and size in relation to the horse, but some of this can be addressed by concentrating on riding through the jump and forcing your self to focus on the next element.

It isn't always a fault, particularly for riders a bit oversized for their mounts

tuscanyD

Visit site
I can suggest that you concentrate more on allowing your hands forward - if you focus on that your shoulders and body will naturally follow [hopefully] if they don't then at least you know you're giving the horse freedom.

I've watched some Lucinda Green sessions and she very much advocates the x-country rider sits a little behind the movement for safety anyway. If you are concerned you are restricting your horse you need to focus more on what your hands are doing [as said above] plus learn to slip the reins if you aren't already?

frannieuk

Visit site
Thanks amymay
smile.gif

the watcher - competing at BE intro and PN, and BSJA BN and Disco , ridden since I was a kid (nearly 30 now
ooo.gif
) and not oversized on either horse (5'9", and size 10ish!, horses are 16.1 and 16.3 ISH types)...

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Ah, well BOF accuses me of this when the fences get a bit bigger and I get nervous; he calls it my 'defensive' seat. Do you think that might be what's happening? Are you worried of horse stopping perhaps?
I'm sure it's not nearly as bad as you think it is and probably better than pitching yourself forward (something else I've been accused of from time to time!
blush.gif
)