Help! Speed buying unseen

Kylara

Visit site
Just need some extra thoughts.

Gone properly crazy. Saw a 14hh pony for sale on PC ponies fb page yesterday, looks nice, video shows nice, family sounds nice. Pretty cheap as well considering how much they bought for. Sounds just what I am looking for regarding pony produce and sell on, seller sounds genuine and reasons all sound genuine when she rang today. Is off to sales livery with their old SJ trainer tomorrow and his yard is 4 hours away (she is 2 hours away) so can't really go see him, but I'm (sort of) happy to buy unseen. Issue is I'm not sure if the speed is unsettling me as not much time to think as if I buy him today he'll come straight to me instead of going on sales livery. I've been instructed by unhorsey mother to buy him today and just go with it (he's sub 2k and apparently a fab hacker so if all goes tits up he can live at home as such) but I'm not sure!

I think I'm going to buy him but I don't know if I'm being stupid! Help

spike123

Visit site
perhaps buy with a vetting if you're not happy to go visit. Also as above speak to the pony club that he has been with and see what they have to tell you about him.

EQUIDAE

Visit site
After buying a really aggressive horse unseen I would never do it again. Might sound nice on paper but if they are rude and mean it's not good

Haz:)

Visit site
If you can afford to chance then do it. I'd try ringing the director though. I travelled 2hrs to view my TB. I only managed to trot as the fields were marsh so riding on the hard standing was my only option. I checked his teeth, looked at his feet (at which point I was just like "the horror, he's fully shod!" But all went well. I wouldn't buy unseen personally because I love to meet them, it's part of the experience.

Kylara

Visit site
I decided unseen probable not the way to go so decided to pass. Well all a bit moot now as my mother saw the picture, thought he looked nice and she bought him. Turned up on Tuesday. Seems a nice enough sort. Needs some work on opening the stable door and not walking out, but other than that he seems very well behaved!

Ridden him twice, pretty decent, need to try him over jumps but think he may have been a steal at this point, just need to try out a few bits as I think a little over bitted but no rush and I don't think I have any full cheeks in the tack room!

Now to tell her that as her pony is taking up a livery space she may have to pay livery for him ;)

rowan666

Visit site
Ultimately you shouldn't but what you can't afford to lose. Would you be vetting if you viewed? If so ask if they can postpone sales livery till vetting is done. I have bought unseen at speed from a distance before, talked to seller and picked up 3 days later (if I had my own transport I would have collected same day) I did upon collection discover the horses issues were much worse than owner knew about (horse was on loan at the time and loaners were very reluctant to offer up any kind of information atall!) but I definatly dont regret it, I wanted a project and I got a project! However was not buying with intent to sell. In your shoes I would contact their pony club and see if they can offer up any useful information first.

ETA just seen the update :D things all worked out well then! Will you be bringing on to sell on still or will your mum be keeping him?

Last edited:

Kylara

Visit site
Haha my thoughts exactly, no time for even a 2 stage so I was bowing out.

Well, theoretically he will be a produce and sell on but last time mother bought a pony (the one this reminded her of) he stayed for 7 years, so hopefully that won't happen again!

Seems decent on the flat, bit reluctant to bend left and easily distracted but he's not been here long and arena is very exciting as boomerang have all their camps which means horses next to the arena! Haven't jumped him so thinking maybe the stronger bit is for that. Struggles with self carriage in canter but could be fitness, bit, confusion etc. So needs holding and kicking to keep going. Will fix that pronto and work on the flat - he's very good until the balance is lost and I really don't think the bit is helping out there.

Now do I just send her a livery invoice or do I ask first? ;)

It's not like she can ride either, so very much a pretty pet for her!

Archangel

Visit site
I like the sound of your mother Kylara - I always wanted the sort of mother that popped out for a loaf of bread and came back with a pony.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Job done ;-) I've bought many a good horse unseen, and had great luck with them - luck being the operative word.....but then I'm fairly adventurous, and looking to turn them over anyway. Best of luck with the new fella!