Help - taking horse on holiday. Equipment and Travel q's!

TheHairyOne

Visit site
I am very lucky in that my friend and I are heading off for a 4 day norfolk adventure in a couple of weeks and I am so excited.

We are fine with all the bits of kit needed for the horses, but we have been trying to work out what is the best thing to get in terms of bags to carry our stuff when we are out for a long ride, drinks, snacks, maps etc.

3 options seem to be saddle bags for the front of the saddle, saddle bags behind the saddle (look to be a huge variety!) or numnahs with pockets built in.

Recommendations please? The ones behind the saddle look like they would maybe flap around, the ones in the numnahs pull them down onto the back and the ones in front might get in the way. Neither of us are too keen to wear a backpack.

And also a quick question about trailer travel. We hope to take my horsebox, but its currently in for some work. Took both our horses in my friends trailer at the weekend for a hack to see how mine travelles and he was fine, but I have zero experience with them. He seemed to sit on his tail on the bar rather a lot (so tail guard required - suggestions?) but also where do you put he bars front and back? I left him with quite a lot of room which actually might not have helped him, so how snug do you make the space?

Many thanks and please cross your fingers for good weather! :)

asmp

Visit site
Daughter used to do a lot of TREC and always used a saddlebag infront of the saddle - better for the horse than behind. Good idea to have ID on the horse just in case you lose him! I have a metal tag on my saddle with phone numbers but a luggage tag works just as well.

I used to use tail guards on my horse as he leans in a trailer but I found (from a couple of makes) that the Velcro rubbed him raw so I try not to use anything now.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I found a bum type bag round my waist works well for bits and pieces. Second the metal tags on saddle, I use RoadID ones which have plenty of room for details. Don't forget your horses passports and while travel accidents are few and far between please carry your horses first aid box in the car where you can find it.

Have a lovely holiday and enjoy those beach gallops.