Help to improve my canter

RocknRoller

Visit site
I am struggling with my horses right canter and just wondered if you had any suggestions. He just really struggles with the right lead and he almost goes out of his way to throw his weight onto the left leg when you ask for canter. I had physio out about 3 months ago when i first brought him back into work and there were no issues and I have booked her for in 2 weeks but I dont think its pain related as all of his other work is great and his left canter transition is perfect everytime. I think he just doesent understand what im asking. When jumping he can quite easily land on the right leg and then carry on but asking for a normal transition can be quite messy and he leaps and skips to get his legs right. Also when I finally do get the right leg he swings his back end in for the first circuit or 2 and then finally becomes straight.

fatpony

Visit site
It sounds like you are talking about my pony!!
I gave him a bit of time to strengthen up and worked on balance then after reading a few threads on here decided to tackle the issue. I use a lot of outside leg to almost get him to drift right and put my weight to the right and open the right rein. I try to ignore everything else - i.e. direction/straightness/what we both look like until we get the transition sorted. In a week we have gone from 80% wrong to over 50% right and I can use much less exagurated aids now. Started always doing it in one spot so he started to anticipate it and now moving on to doing elsewhere. Will take a while to correct it but I am hopeful. I found before that the more I tried to bend my pony or ask him in a corner or on a circle the more he would throw himself onto the left lead - I think he finds it easier to balance on that one.

Feisty Mare

Visit site
Few things to try:
Leg yield from 3/4 line to track then ask for canter as you reach the track
On a circle in right canter leg yield out onto a larger circle
Shoulder in (trot or canter) on the right rein to help strengthen the right hind and improve straightness

windand rain

Visit site
Is it possible you are putting your weight down the outside to try to help him balance and holding the rein too firmly on his right side so he is bending to the right. You need to as for quarters in on a bend with definite aids and put your weight down the inside leg. dont move your hips to the right while doing so either. all weight down the inside will feel to you like you are going to fall off on the side but it works. If calme enough you can remove your outside stirrup and see where you weight actually is

L&M

Visit site
Have you tried asking over a raised pole?

I am having the same issue on the same rein with my youngster, so put a raised pole in opposing corners. I get the correct strike off virtually every time and over the next few sessions plan to lower the pole just to the ground, then remove completely.

A useful excercise I have found is to get the correct strike off say in the corner after 'f' then maintain canter to 'e' and do a 20 m circle. I then come back to trot, then go over another raised pole after 'h' then continue to 'b' then into another circle.

Interestingly my lad will pick up the correct lead more often if cantering a figure of 8 than if I just try a strike off on a circle.

I am also trying to lunge a couple of times a week to help him with balance.

Good luck as know how hard it is to not make it an 'issue' - do as much cantering on hacks as you can so you can relax and just enjoy the pace.