Help to oil or not?

hobo

Visit site
I have after 10+ years bought Maggie a new bridle it is a good quality Jeffries one. I have used it once after leather barm & conditioning soap but still much stiffer than I would like. Should I go back to my old way of neatsfoot oil just to start it off, I know they say it rots the stiching but to be fair I have never had rotten stiches. It is wiped down and waiting for what I should do next. What do you recommend.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I use leather balsam which feeds and softens the leather beautifully. The NAF one doesn't smell as nice as the Effax one but it really keeps the leather in gorgeous condition.

jojo5

Visit site
Hi Cremedemonthe, I have a bridle in need of serious first aid - will your article help me? ��

MissMoo

Visit site
Sorry Creme, another request for the info please, I have a saddle which has had little use recently and is in need of some TLC and am looking to purchase a new bridle soon also. Many thanks

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Oz you need to post a summary here, so many people get hits on HHO when Googling, I'll summarise what I think are our thoughts:

No oil - stretches and weakend fibres making it feel softer
No soap - wrong ph, glycerine is a humectant (attracts moisture hence it gets sticky) so a poor cleanser and poor conditioner, should never ever be used as a single step
No one-step products - clean, rinse away any product then condition
Use a good solvent free conditioner that will feed and weatherproof your leather (so many contain solvents you wouldn't believe it!)
Use it to soften it, take it home, condition it in the warm and work it in your hands.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I bought a very disappointing new bridle recently .
I softened it with Rapide leather oil IRS expensive but boy does it do the job .

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
Oz you need to post a summary here, so many people get hits on HHO when Googling, I'll summarise what I think are our thoughts:

No oil - stretches and weakend fibres making it feel softer
No soap - wrong ph, glycerine is a humectant (attracts moisture hence it gets sticky) so a poor cleanser and poor conditioner, should never ever be used as a single step
No one-step products - clean, rinse away any product then condition
Use a good solvent free conditioner that will feed and weatherproof your leather (so many contain solvents you wouldn't believe it!)
Use it to soften it, take it home, condition it in the warm and work it in your hands.

Agree and you have set it out well :)
One thing I need to add, the oil yes it will make leather weaker, if it feels softer initially when it dries out it can and often does, oxidize the leather which makes it turn hard.
I made the mistake of oiling tack I had made at saddlery college back in 1988 and found the tack went hard, this is why I developed my leather conditioner in the first place.

Last edited:

Tnavas

Visit site
I have after 10+ years bought Maggie a new bridle it is a good quality Jeffries one. I have used it once after leather barm & conditioning soap but still much stiffer than I would like. Should I go back to my old way of neatsfoot oil just to start it off, I know they say it rots the stiching but to be fair I have never had rotten stiches. It is wiped down and waiting for what I should do next. What do you recommend.

Its the salt in sweat that rots the stitching
Over oiling weakens the leather - I have masses of tack as I collect it for teaching with at Pony Club - I oil everything lightly and then use selfshine shoe polish on my show tack, the rest is soaped with Glycerine - I also used Glycerine on all my Riding School tack, and after 10 years of regular use the tack was still soft and sound - most likely used for far more hours than most would use their tack. School tack was a mixture of quality and cheap tack.

However my tack is cleaned after every use so never gets too dirty - My tack gets wet if it rains and does not wear a pretty saddle cover to protect it yet still goes out and wins best turnout.