Help!.........Travelling a mare and foal?

bellaboo

Visit site
Help!!!!
A few months ago I brought my first foal and wanted the foal and her mum to come down to my field before weaning so the foal could get used to its new surroundings and friends. The owner of the mare was'nt keen on this idea so weaning was going to happen where they are.
Today had a phone call to say that the mares owner had to dash to Holland to a sick relative and I could take mare and foal home!
Its good that my foalie can come home but was planning to have time to practise loading, as dont want her first experience to be a bad one. Not sure how the mare travels, she should be ok as she travelled over from Holland last year! now not sure how to travel them, lorry or trailer? I suppose lorry would be better, more room etc. but had no experience in travelling babies, havent taught her to tie up yet so will have to travel loose, is that going to be ok?
Hate travelling horses at the best of times, now im really worried!!!
frown.gif

foraday

Visit site
lorry would be better but a trailer will suffice.

All partitions must be removed and the mare and the foal travel loose. Ensure there are shavings on the floor and just put hay/haylage loose on the floor also. Ensure everywhere is done up-so that the foal cannot get out. On a trailer top doors shut.

You will need 2 people for the foal-one either side and to hold the bottom too and then gently help the foal up the ramp. You maybe lucky and the foal will follow mum up by him/herself.

Plan your route and don't travel at the busiest time of the day.

If you are too nervous yourself then ask a transporter to do it.

www.findhorsetransport.com

there are a few transporters down your way

milliepup

Visit site
I recently travelled my mare and foal and did as above. It was in a lorry but took all partitions out and let them travel loose. As soon as you get moving they tend to settle down so just take it gently and you should be fine. My foalie was 4 months old and was no problem.

Good luck

S_N

Visit site
If you use a trailer, then remove the partition and the 4 half bars (breast/breech bars). You will need to have at least a full breast bar - it is illegal (I believe) to travel a horse without a breast bar. Cross tie the mare, if it's a long journey, give her a small holed haynet, if not, then don't bother! Take the headcollar/halter off the foal and leave him/her loose! Close ALL the doors above front and rear ramps - you don't want the foal trying to jump out!

filly190

Visit site
If you can, I would use a profesional lorry transport service, who have cctv on board. How expensive it is, I would not like to guess. But in the horse and hound I see them advertised and I assume you can have a shared load with all the bells and whistles.

Good luck, a daunting task that would give me sleepless nights.