HELP!!! URGENT RUG EMERGENCY!

Ginn

Visit site
I have just checked my horse and her rugs were on the floor in her field completely wrecked so need to get some new ones asap!

For the last few days she's been wearing a l/w turnout with a fleece underneath as she's been getting cold with just the rug and had started to drop her weight a little.

My question is, do I buy another l/w or something 150-200g?

She is unclipped but is a very thin skinned tb type and is a total wimp with cold weather and the yard is very exposed so if its cold you feel it.

Also, thios rug was 600 denier so Im guessing I need something tougher - any suggestions?

Thankies in advance

KatB

Visit site
Hmm, i would go out and buy the heavier (1200) amigo LWT and a cheapo fleece. Better value for money in long run as can mix and match
smile.gif

Nic

Visit site
I would go for something with a filling & try not to by rugs with less than 1000 dennier as mine are thugs!

I love Weatherbeetas freestyle range.

Pasha

Visit site
If you can't get a L/W and a M/W I would go for another lightweight and use an under rug/fleece under it that can also double as a stable rug.... it's easier to add rugs to make them warm but you can't make rugs cooler!

Tia

Visit site
Any idea how it happened? I ask this as one of my horses used to take his rug off when he was too hot! Honestly he did. He also tries to put it back on when he gets cold.....but he doesn't realise you can't do that without fingers!

Ginn

Visit site
YO's OH said he went up at lunch and the back fillet string (my only critism of the amigo's - no back leg straps and a very low fillet string!) had snapped and the rug was folded up over her bum. She went down to roll and it twisted and as she paniked she got her legs stuck and fortunately the rug gave and not her.

Just popped down to my local feedmerchants (only place open at this time of night!) and they only have 220g + in stock in her size except 1 170g but again it was only 600D so now rug shopping online and she'll have to stay in from 4pm-10am for the next few days!

Bloody animal!

Tia

Visit site
The last time it happened was in March - we went out and came back much later - it was milder through the day but turned chilly. We drove down the driveway and Spotty Horse was standing there with the rug in his mouth trying to place it back on his body. I swear to god he nearly popped himself when he saw me! Clever Mummy had a spare one in the barn for him but she did have cross words with him!

The thing is he hadn't damaged the rug in any way; it was just all wet from him dragging around in the snow. Bless him - how could I possibly sell that big dufus!

Tia

Visit site
I would agree with the poster who suggests not buying any rugs of a lesser denier than 1,000 or 1,200. They just give up on you too soon. The padded out ones do seem to stay in position better too.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
How interesting that tiaribon's horse is spotty, both the appaloosa mares have taken off their rugs, without damaging them, never seen either of them trying to put them back on. None of the others over the years have taken them off, not without ruining them anyway!

Tia

Visit site
Hmm they are pretty strange animals appaloosas. I have 3 of them this winter so will see what mischief they all get up to!