Help us solve an argument!!!!

RachelB

Visit site
For leg yield to the left, I put my right leg slightly behind the girth, ask for a bit of bend witht he right rein while keeping the left to guard the shoulder, and left leg on the girth to keep the forwards movement and impulsion.
For shoulder-in on the left rein, I keep my right leg on the girth to ask for more impulsion from the right hindleg to step under, bend slightly right (not much at all, I believe the horse should really be straight? I haven't got to that stage yet!), keep the left rein, and put the left leg behind the girth to stop the quarters swinging.
I *think* that's right! Feel free to shoot me down though!

KatB

Visit site
Leg yield is slight flexion away from the movement, so if leg yielding left, slight right flexion, right leg slightly behind girth to ask for sideways movement.
Shoulder in is obviously inside bend through the body, not the neck, so for shoulder in left, you would ask with your left leg on tyhe girth asking for bend and impulsion, and your shoulders should be parallel with your horses, with a outside contact to control the amount of bend through the neck, and ask the shoulders to come over, not just the bend through the neck.

not_with_it

Visit site
In the leg yield you are asking the whole body to move away from the leg so the inside leg goes on behind the girth and pushes the horse away. In shoulder in the shoulders move and bend around the inside leg which is on the girth

JLav

Visit site
RachelB's description was pretty good except she gave the aids for a right shoulder in not left.
If riding on the right rein and doing a right shoulder in the horse is bent around the riders inside leg whilst moving down the track, the hind legs should not cross but continue to go straight down the track. The bend comes throught the body with no more bend in the neck than the rest of the horse. The inside front leg will cross in front of the outside one The rider keeps inside leg at the girth to create the bend and keep the impulsion, the outside leg is further back to stop the quarters swinging out. Inside rein asks for flexion and outside rein supports the bend whilst preventing the horse from bending the neck too much and falling out through the outside shoulder. (All too often seen!!)
In a leg-yield the horse is much straighter in the body with just a slight flexion away from the movement and both the front and hind legs cross. So to leg-yield to the right the left leg moves back to push the horse sideways and the left rein asks for flexion to the left with the right rein supporting and preventing too much neck bend.

RachelB

Visit site
Ack I knew I'd get something wrong... I was imagining the leg yield first, on the right rein (so to the left), and then the shoulder-in on the right rein too but by then I'd muddled up my left and right!
Sorry lol!