Help! What can I give to help behaviour without losing performance?

muffinthemule

Visit site
Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can give my 7yo eventer...took him eventing Sat and he was a nightmare to handle from the ground - rearing, kicked out at my head and bit my mum. Once I get on he is lively but fine - not a prob at all, and at home he is a poppet.
It seems to be pure excitement - just can't stand still etc. Don't want to change his feed as only just got it right and he needs it for stamina. Is there something out there I can give him that will stop the dangerous behaviour and return him to my lovely soppy boy?! Just don't want to lose the performance either as only just got him to enjoy the eventing lark!

KatB

Visit site
Give him a calmer, just something to take the naughtyness out of him, but he will still have the stamina etc and should increase his concentration!!
grin.gif

igglepiggle

Visit site
What about trying Power and Performance? Supposed to really help with handling and focus. I know you said you don't want to change his feed, but he sounds a little scary to me, right now!

catembi

Visit site
I used Nupafeed on Catembi as he was horrible at shows & out hacking. He could still pop round a N/C as if it was a riding club clear round, but didn't overreact wildly to every little thing.

It's a bit ££££££ but it worked for me.

muffinthemule

Visit site
Ooh now someone else mentioned Nupafeed the other day to me but I don't know much about it?? Is it just something you give "on the day"? Don't mind £££ (within reason!) if it's gonna work as otherwise will lose my groom (wonderful mother!) due to injuries incurred....
blush.gif

igglepiggle

Visit site
Oh, sorry, not very helpful. I'd try calling Allen and Page anyway to see if they have any suggestions. I've tried Oxyshot and wouldn't recommend. Good luck!

catembi

Visit site
I fed it all the time as Cat was a pain in the a**e all the time...

Try phoning the Nupafeed helpline...the people are really friendly & helpful.

punk

Visit site
Oxyshot is not just water!!! Try tasting it!! It does work for ours, and many others I have talked to.. Rider can also take it!!

It increases the oxygen in the system, which improves concentration and stamina. As far as I can make out there is no exact scientific evidence for why this should also have a calming effect, but I assure you it does for us - and I am extremely sceptical about all these 'supplements' having tried them all!!!
grin.gif

PS Nupafeed is OK too, but I would still say that Oxyshot is the only thing that really works for us.
grin.gif