Help - what should I be looking for in 'good' potential barefoot

Batgirl

Visit site
I ma for the first time shopping for a youngster that I plant o kepp barefoot - what am I looking for (I know it sounds ridiculous but I went to see one yesterday and the owners were commenting that everything I am seeing is obviously the best thing since sliced bread:
Scaley hoof walls - 'normal, most farriers rasp it off, we leave it on as it protects the hoof wall'
Flat frog - stops it jumping
Flat sole - all the better for seeing you

Obviously being facetious with the last two but you get the picture!

be positive

Visit site
Experienced sellers will try to turn any comments into a positive selling point, many dealers do especially well turning negatives into positives until the novice buyer is so confused they agree with everything.

I like to see 4 well balanced feet, in proportion to the frame of the horse, in matching pairs, no obvious deviation from being straight when stood up or when moving, a very slight dish I am not bothered about but any more will impact on their feet and possibly higher up the limb later on in life, I know many people are not fussed about straight movement but I have rarely purchased anything that wasn't straight and apart from 1 they have all proved to be sound, I haven't kept them all long term but they all passed vettings when sold and went on to do a good job in their new homes, by starting with something correct at least you are not trying to make corrections from day 1.

Purely from the point of view of the foot, no obvious cracks, no flare a little if they are getting long and need trimming is fine, good flat wide frogs that take up a lot of the base of the foot and no deep sulcus, concave soles and no stretching of the white line, it tends to go with flare so a little may be acceptable but otherwise it should be tight and not really noticeable.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I would second making sure that the horse moves straight. I've one here who I have had barefoot for years and his feet turn out slightly and he plaits a bit. Because of this I have had real problems with him wearing his feet unevenly , landing on the outside of his hoof. It impacts on frog development and I've never been able to do much without him being booted. I have a youngster now with good hoof conformation and straight movement and the difference in getting good hardworking barefoot hooves has been amazing.