Help with boots for the Donkey

SSM

Visit site
The girl I share the yard with the other night was horrified that I do not put any boots on to school the Donkey - so I have an admission, apart from travel boots I do not own any boots
blush.gif
blush.gif
- what should I be putting on her and when - also please recommend makes.

I am not convinced but she was horrified - my girl does not brush and dishes so the fronts go outwards!!!!!!!!!

Madam_max

Visit site
I don't put boots on Corroy unless I am doing xc/sponsored rides or SJ at a comp. I'm a bad mum, not even jumping at home. I admit though she did get turned out in some today with new friends.

teapot

Visit site
If she doesn't need boots, then dont boot her up. But if you're looking for an all round boot - would recommend the NEW ones - good quality, last and worth the price

Had this with old share pony - owner had booted him up to his eyeballs - didn't need, was a fashion statement so took them off at first chance.

Obviously if you're going xc then boots are good to protect from grazes etc

Parkranger

Visit site
but if you were to do dressage you can't use them anyway, so I don't let it bother me.......I use them if its slippy when hacking out though x

Jemayni

Visit site
Mine never wears boots unless hes jumping solid fences or being lunged. He is a very brave horsey and instantly looses respect for Show Jumps with boots on, and I really don't see the point of them for flat work, they don't reduce concussion or reduce injury in anyway, as he does not brush, IMO there an expensive bit of kit to use a fashion accessory!

SSM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
She even galloped!!! Across the field for a second.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds familiar - and then her head went down??!!

loopeepee

Visit site
Dont boot her up if she doesn't need it!
My little pony NEVER wore boots, at all. I was frowned upon serverly, but by people who had theirs booted up to the eyeballs. I asked someone to hold her, before I was about to lunge, and they go to me ''*sharp intake of breath* you're not about to lunge her with no boots on?? Thats so dangerous.'' I can see that going round and round in a circle is more likely possibly induce an injury than otherwise, but she was balanced and therefore IMO totally fine.
She didnt knock poles, she didnt rub jumps XC and I think if she had had boots on, she would have done because they can get complacent about not feeling anything!

jinglejoys

Visit site
Never had boots when I learnt to ride--no body dropped dead (But then we didn't have knee rolls either and we still managed to jump)
grin.gif

Irishcobs

Visit site
If she doesn't brush she doen't need any. They can do more harm than good IMO.
Niether of mine wear boots, I can't get any to fit! Hattie does xc without anything on, but she does have very hairy legs.

flyingfeet

Visit site
I have to say I am quite surprised by the "no" response

I don't boot for fashion, but I always use tendon boots. Fine you can argue that they should learn not to knock themselves, but having nursed one with a mild strike to the tendon I won't risk it again. So lungeing, hacking, anything I will use a plain set of tendon boots which have a carbon fibre strike pad (they are not to support, just to stop a blow to the tendon).

That said I do not turn out with boots, and at least 70% of injuries seem to happen when you aren't there!

Halfpass

Visit site
I acan highly recomend the premier equine boots. Very afforable and they have a good range too. I have a set of XC ones that have a hard stricking pad over the tendon and I love them.

Skhosu

Visit site
My horse wears boots for xc, am going to put tendons on for SJ and hacking etc. but the pony doesn't wear any, any time and I won't be adding any soon.
I use as little as possible and have never had a problem.

seza

Visit site
I think it depends on whether you want to take the risk. We always use boots, not because the horse is 'unbalanced' but because an injury would mean they would be unable to work, they would suffer pain and it could threaten their careers. Protective equipment is just that - it protects. I find the best boots are Dalmar. They have an air cooling system that reduces the stress on tendons. They are irish and I bought ours direct off the company.