Help with forum manners

Highmileagecob

Visit site
I am not a social media user, and wonder if there is a significance to the 'like' button? Should it be clicked to show a post has been read, or only if 'liked?' Just wondering, as I notice far more people 'liking' threads than actually getting involved in the discussion and wonder if I have misunderstood the etiquette. Sorry for sounding like a numpty.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I preferred it before the like button was there; I think more people bothered to type a reply.

And sometimes, you can't decide whether you agree with enough of the post to 'like' it, or if you only agree with a bit of the post, your agreement is strong enough to 'like' the whole post.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
And sometimes, you can't decide whether you agree with enough of the post to 'like' it, or if you only agree with a bit of the post, your agreement is strong enough to 'like' the whole post.

Although that does make it more likely that people will type a reply and select the bit they agree/disagree with to quote.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I use it to basically agree with and because I think it is a well-written post.

I also like posts of members that have taken time to respond to something I’ve posted if it doesn’t warrant a direct reply. Sometimes my likes don’t stick which is annoying as I swear I’ve liked it but it’s not there next time I read the thread.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
It might also be worth mentioning OP it tooks us a looooonnnggg time to get a like button, it's pretty recent in forum history it's main function is so you can see how popular you are in the stats ;)

View attachment 93712
Oh my god! Like a HHO leader board of who is popular?
I had no idea ?
I just like if I like or agree with someone, or that my opinion would just make a thread repetitive to read for example.
Ill go stick my head back in the sand….

PapaverFollis

Visit site
It might also be worth mentioning OP it tooks us a looooonnnggg time to get a like button, it's pretty recent in forum history it's main function is so you can see how popular you are in the stats ;)

View attachment 93712

And because I joined not long before the like button was introduced my posts to likes ratio is really strong. ? So I look like I don't say a lot but what I say is really good

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site

View attachment 93712
Ha ha, I had no idea about the stats!

Another forum I use has an active 'dislike' button as well as a ?, oddly enough, it's been beneficial in some respects as some click dislike and dont bother with their (sometimes abusive) regular disagreements ? its certainly been much easier to moderate in the last 2 years.