Help with Irritating cough

kbsaff

Visit site
I'm looking for some advice. My Sec D has had a cough for the last couple of weeks which he can't seem to shake off.
It's pretty sporadic but worse in the evenings and early mornings. The cough doesn't sound like a choke, it's literally like a regular tickly cough but it breaks my heart.
He comes in at night for a feed (small handful of alfa-A), If he's going back out, he won't have hay but if he's staying in he has a two wedges of hay which I spray with the hose and leave to drain. I only spray it as he flat out refuses to eat hay which has been into soak, he'd rather stand hungry than eat it for some reason.

I've been giving him 20ml of Benylin once a day but we've finished the bottle now and he's still coughing. He isn't losing any condition and is perfectly happy in himself, we just don't seem to be able to get rid of this cough.

One of our liveries keeps pointing out that she hears him coughing making me feel that I'm not doing enough and am completely inept as a horse owner so, before I give the vet a call, I thought it was worth checking, does anyone know anything which may be more effective than what I've already tried?